hotcake, a bit noisey

Einzeln

Hi
I finished a hotcake (Kit ordered at Musikding) last week and tried it at home, in my living room not connected to earth. My other (DIY) pedals show no isseus. The hotcake seems a bit more sensitive for a hum. It's my cleanest build so far.
Is the LM742 sensitive or could it be other components.

Are your other DIY pedals gain pedals? A pedal with a lot of gain, like the Hotcake, will amplify any noise that’s mixed in with the signal, so any existing hum gets louder.

You trimmed the input and output wires nicely. I doubt it would make a difference, but you could try separating them out from the 4some that go from main board to switch board.

When you write “not collected to earth” do you mean it’s an ungrounded outlet and your amp, etc. are all plugged into that same circuit? Depending on your equipment, that could add hum, and it would be worth trying everything plugged into a grounded outlet, but I’m doubtful that it will Make much of a difference. If there are fluorescent lights, or large appliances nearby, or plugged into the circuit, those may absolutely create hum—and again, this would get amplified along with your guitar.

My living room has no grounded outlet, where I tested with an Vox ac4. My pedal power supply is connected to the same outlet. I am comparing with the pedalpcb fairfield barbershop, no hum at all. Tonight i am going to rehearsal and will test on an ac30 in a grounded setting.

It could be the power supply you are using. How are you powering the pedals? Some are more sensitive to power supplies than others. Some don't like sharing. And it can't hurt to try moving the wires between the board and switch around while you are plugged in to see if separating in and out helps. I doubt it will have much effect with such short runs.

I use the powerplant ISO. That's a fine isolated powersupply
I will try separating the wires between board and switch. It is a buffered bypass btw.
My guess that the pedal is functioning as it should but maybe a tl071 is quiter than the lm741?

Back