Somethings not quite right?... Dr. Feelgood

Hey again Gang!...

I just wanted to ask the hive mind for opinions on what to do about a pedal I built a while back.... The Dr Feelgood pedal. I love the band, the player, and Im always looking for a "good' replacement for that 80's thing having sold my ADA MP1 many moons ago.... Yes I regret it!. But I like the idea of this pedal, and yes, I know Mick Mars didn't use an MP1.
Something is not quite right.... It sounds very trebly (even with the treble all the way down on the pot) and kinda like a component is 'off' somewhere.
Im just wondering what you guys would do in this scenario.... And Im getting to know you guys well enough to expect the "build it on a bread board first"answer which Im sure is the best answer but I didn't have one at the time and this is a perfect example of why you should indeed do this.. so I apologise in advance if this is triggering to some's OCD.

But....

In the event that this should happen to you... what would you Guru's do?.

- Strip it down for parts to recycle into the rebuild(on a bread board), after testing all the components?. (on a bread board) and replacing any where necessary(on a bread board)?... breadboard.
- Do some sound clips to demonstrate the sound, Are there any known "good test points" in this circuit?... and the expected values?. Possibly 'tweak' some values to get what I 'want' out of the pedal.
or
- Smash it up and then realise its just a guitar pedal.... and have a beer.

Id love to hear your thoughts on this one. And ESPECIALLY if you know a good pedal build that is close to that kind of sound.

Thanks from a mourning Brit. ;)

Without hearing yours, I will say, the original was pretty bright.

Not "broken" bright, but it was a bit harsh.
Thanks Robert. Good to know that. It could well just be the 'design'... and/or incompatible with the amps Im putting it through. Its not "insane", just kinda... not quite right.
So, in this case Id love to work with this as a project to possibly tweak it to my liking then.
I know these pedals were not received well and the demo's on YT are awful (apart from one!).
Are there any "breakdown's" of the circuit a'la Electrosmash etc for this one that anyone knows of?... so I can possibly change some resistor values etc. ..... to tame it a little, I don't want to give up on it quite yet.

Check out the Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control, you could tack that on at the very end of the circuit with just a bit of offboard wiring and a couple components on the back of the SWTC pot.

Pad 3 of the vol > SWTC > Vol pot > Jack.

I never boxed mine, it was harsh sounding. It sounded like the YouTube videos, so I guess it was spot on. I’ve been stripping it for parts. I finally placed another Tayda order.

I definitely think it was more a collectors item than a usable pedal.

It's like the stick of gum that used to come in a pack of trading cards.... sure, you could chew it, but do you really want to?

Feelgood/Looksbad
Can someone please explain what is going on here with the resistors & caps going to Ground of the same junction?

1663340243472.png

Increasing C17 from 4.7n to 10n will lower the cutoff from ~3.4k to ~1.6k, and that might be a bit more beneficial than adjusting c9. Could try both

Increasing C17 from 4.7n to 10n will lower the cutoff from ~3.4k to ~1.6k, and that might be a bit more beneficial than adjusting c9. Could try both
Yep, I only looked briefly at the Schematic not realizing that Q4 is in the Line Out part of the Circuit!

From the Demo's I seen, it aint filtering too much from the background noise I heard.

They actually address that in the FAQ for the pedal.

Why is there a hiss in my Dr. Feelgood pedal when I turn it on?

Since the Dr. Feelgood pedal is a higher gain distortion pedal, there will always be some noise, this is normal and something a Noise Gate can help with. Please be aware that single coil guitar pickups bring more noise compared to humbuckers due to its construction design.

What's with all the freakin' MOSFETs? Of course it's noisy. That input buffer is worst than useless. Q1 needs to go. Q3 & Q4 need gate-stopper resistors so they don't oscillate. Q3 will overdrive the Bax tone stage if any of the tone controls are set above noon. Not good. Probably fixable with enough surgery.

What's with all the freakin' MOSFETs? Of course it's noisy. That input buffer is worst than useless. Q1 needs to go. Q3 & Q4 need gate-stopper resistors so they don't oscillate. Q3 will overdrive the Bax tone stage if any of the tone controls are set above noon. Not good. Probably fixable with enough surgery.
You gotta ask yourself, What would Mick Mars do?

Back