Pathogen

paniagua

First post. I didn't see a Welcome thread so i'll just throw this here. I want to say what a great community you guys have created. Thank you so much Robert and to all the contributors that put in all the time and effort to make these PCBs possible. Your work is greatly appreciated.

I used to sling a bit of solder back in the day, building hi-fi amps/DACS/speakers. Other than cables, the Hakko 936 has been sitting idle for years. My 12yr old has been playing guitar for a couple of years now and inspired me to pick up the guitar...and the soldering iron again. Why not build some pedals? I have to say, I don't remember a time in recent memory having so much fun.

Pathogen is my first pedal build. I had the Pathos on loan and liked it well enough into a clean Roland Jazz Chorus amp - just "clean/transparent" or whatever you want to call it high gain. I picked this as my first pedal since I already had a reference with the original and it's a distortion pedal that actually sounds decent into the JC. Having a compressor always on after dirt helps immensely though. I didn't want to take a gamble getting my feet wet and wanted a slam dunk. Sounds like the original and even better when driven by an EQD Plumes set to clean boost. I orginally mis-ordered 4558 opamps as pictured and have since replaced with the stock 4580. I can't say there's a big difference.

First build is going to have some bumps. I'm used to working with larger enclosures. I've since learned how to better plan out air-wiring and order of mounting components. I had a ridiculous time trying to get a stupid LED mounted ugly. The whole process and results were a huge success and I've since built three other pedals in the past few weeks.

Thanks again to everyone.

pathogen1.jpg

pathogen2.jpg

Thanks. Vishay Beyschlag from Digikey. CMF50 are too rich for my blood these days. Otherwise the RN55 are my go to but not with the shorter lead spacing. Creature of habit. Use and wear what's comfortable. I won't claim they're any better.

VERY TIDY!

Welcome to the forum.

I wish I could have all same colour caps. I pop in whatever's on hand, whatever was on sale — yellow, grey, cream etc film caps...

Good looking build inside and out.

Back