[Vero] Morning Glory

szukalski

Build Rating
3.00 star(s)
Last build report for the evening.

Here's a vero build I did with the parts I have on hand whilst I wait for Tayda to do their thing.

I used a MC4558L in there, originally I had a LM833 and it was nice but I wanted to try a few ICs. The RC4558 was too harsh (thought more gain), but the MC4558L had a much nicer, rounder, sound. Almost muffled but without losing clarity. As I was A/Bing with the LM833 and MC4558L, the LM833 flew somewhere across my room. I heard it land but haven't found it, not for lack of trying. Luckily, I enjoy the MC4558L immensely.

Alone, she is a beauty to drive my JTM45 clone. Lots of volume and headroom. Pushed, she gets a bit harsh at full drive, but that's not her game. Pair her with a Duocast (yummy but potentially shrill) or Chickenhead (much nicer but noisier) with low gains, and you can get some amazing smooth tones. I would rate it one of my favourite pairings (along with my Aphrodite + Chickenhead for a "rip your head off" gain).

Build wise, I am still honing my vero game, and you can see that wiring is still not there yet, but one step at a time..

Bonus for me was that I got to try out the new silicon wire from AliExpress. Pink is a great colour. Rainbows are for everyone.

morning-1.jpg
morning-2.jpg

Last edited:
So my delay build is sitting in there the same way i added some Velcro on the back on the board and the back of pots but I'm not so sure its really secure.

Did you try TL072? That's what I used in my bluebreaker, and it works out pretty well (although I haven't tried to swap it).

Or the 4580, what the King of Tone uses.

Did you try TL072? That's what I used in my bluebreaker, and it works out pretty well (although I haven't tried to swap it).

Or the 4580, what the King of Tone uses.
I haven’t but the MC4558L is great. I didn’t enjoy the grit from the RC4558, but I’ll give it a try!

Last edited:
The TL072 is definitely cleaner and has more clarity but I enjoy the MC4558L more. Personally preference maybe, but it has a smoother, albeit higher noise floor, timbre.

I guess I need to build a second BB or a switchable IC socket pair..

Last edited:
The TL072 is definitely cleaner and has more clarity but I enjoy the MC1458 more. Personally preference maybe, but it has a smoother, albeit higher noise floor, timbre.

I guess I need to build a second BB or a switchable IC socket pair..
*sigh* Well looks like I'm going to be socketing different Ic's soon :ROFLMAO:

It’s held by the wiring and there is painters tape on the enclosure lid. But I’m not gigging so it didn’t need more. Else I’d look at hot glue v

i just use a blob of white or blu tack. It holds the board securely but it's still easy to get it out if you want/need. Non-conductive, easy to clean up.

I always use the nylon self adhesive PCB standoffs. You need to plan for them when you do your very layout, but they take up next to no usable space, hold well, and release easily. Even though all my wiring is solid core, I never felt comfortable with the board just floating. 6C04C3C9-24B0-4EA2-B2FE-A8554F25410C.jpeg F005EC34-6BCC-49CF-ADEF-81D71B2E7C04.jpeg

Back