Aion TS-50

Mentaltossflycoon

Here's Aion's newish bass preamp project. Much like when I built the topographer, I have no experience with Traynor amps so I have no reference point. I just built it out of curiosity. So far I've only played through my unicab/ headphone amp but the sounds are good. I look forward to replacing my ginger with it at my next rehearsal.

I wouldn't compare it tonally to the topographer as it has far more clean sounds going on and is way meatier. It does break up beautifully though. My only complaint is that with these giant daughterboards, there wasn't any way to skootch the footswitch over to put the boost on its own stomper. Anyway, I definitely recommend.

I left the box clean and unlabeled on this one like @MichaelW since the finish is so fancy.

Screenshot_20220924_034043.jpg Screenshot_20220924_034029.jpg

I was wondering about this one. Sounds like I need to check it out. Aion sure doesn't want you to have an extra space in the enclosure, do they?

Of course, since they are on sale now, they are out of stock.

That TEC 2-0923 down on the daughterboard ain't cheap either! At least the transistors are easy to source. I used the suggested 2n3906.

Sweet build!

Totally agree about the daughter-board — I'm going to have to McGyver something about that on mine, I want the boost as a foot-switch, too.

I've been holding off on getting this, even though it's wayyy high on my list of wants. I've just got too much on the go, and I was waiting for a sale. The sale came but like CWSquared mentioned, Aion was sold out, of course.

All in good time.

Thanks for the gut shot. It's helping me formulate a plan for the boost switch. Maybe 1590Q and offboard wire the 3PDT, as well as the boost of course... Relocating the Gain and Master to match my planned graphic, maybe...

Did you use a 1590BBS as per the build doc? The 1590Q is quite shallow compared to a regular 1590BB...

1590 Heights mm:
BB— 30
BB2- 34
BBS- 38
Q -— 28

Hmm so much for using a Q

Before I drilled the box, I tried to configure the daughterboard in a way that I could offboard the 3pdt without the TEC 2-0923 being in the way and did not come up with a solution outside of either a giant enclosure or offboard wiring the TEC 2-0923 and I decided it wasn't worth it. I didn't want to make a bowl of spaghet over a boost.

Update: finally got my ampeg pf500 in hand and tried this in front a well as into the fx return with my new barefaced super twin and it sounds fantastic. The boost/hi were a little too noisy and harsh through my headphones but they're great in real life. I'm not entirely sure which configuration I prefer, which is a good sign. This thing may have me shopping for a power amp instead of a mesa 800+/quilter.

Last edited:
Post full volume rehearsal update:
It's hard to see but it's at the end of my dirt section on my board. Far left of the middle row.
Screenshot_20221002_131914.jpg

This is my new number 1 rig. Ts50 now lives in the radial bassbone fx loop with the rest of my pedals run into the fx return at the back of the ampeg pf500. I can't believe I'm getting this much oomph out of a 37 lb cab and a class d power amp. I messed around A/B-ing with my ba500, then some biamping sending my pedals to the ba500 and the meatbox sub signal over to the pf500/barefaced. Absolutely crushing. I was not expecting to prefer this little box to both the ampeg pres.

@Robert Since the ts-50 is "likely similar to but not based on" the rusty box, I would absolutely double down on a pedalpcb rusty project. Especially if it's in a 125b. At that point I might build 20 and hand them out to trick or treaters.

Sweet build!

Totally agree about the daughter-board — I'm going to have to McGyver something about that on mine, I want the boost as a foot-switch, too.

I've been holding off on getting this, even though it's wayyy high on my list of wants. I've just got too much on the go, and I was waiting for a sale. The sale came but like CWSquared mentioned, Aion was sold out, of course.

All in good time.

Thanks for the gut shot. It's helping me formulate a plan for the boost switch. Maybe 1590Q and offboard wire the 3PDT, as well as the boost of course... Relocating the Gain and Master to match my planned graphic, maybe...

Did you use a 1590BBS as per the build doc? The 1590Q is quite shallow compared to a regular 1590BB...

1590 Heights mm:
BB— 30
BB2- 34
BBS- 38
Q -— 28

Hmm so much for using a Q
It looks like you might be able to turn the Daughter Board to tuck against the bottom of the Main PCB.
You can put the 2 Caps circle in Red on the other side, even the resistors & run fly wires from the footswitch pads to the new Footswitch location & relocate LED placement :

Aion TS- 50 Mod.jpg

Post full volume rehearsal update:
It's hard to see but it's at the end of my dirt section on my board. Far left of the middle row.
View attachment 33322

This is my new number 1 rig. Ts50 now lives in the radial bassbone fx loop with the rest of my pedals run into the fx return at the back of the ampeg pf500. I can't believe I'm getting this much oomph out of a 37 lb cab and a class d power amp. I messed around A/B-ing with my ba500, then some biamping sending my pedals to the ba500 and the meatbox sub signal over to the pf500/barefaced. Absolutely crushing. I was not expecting to prefer this little box to both the ampeg pres.

@Robert Since the ts-50 is "likely similar to but not based on" the rusty box, I would absolutely double down on a pedalpcb rusty project. Especially if it's in a 125b. At that point I might build 20 and hand them out to trick or treaters.

Nice set up. I I really like my bassbone, too. The effects loop is super useful.

Back