470 Ohm reading 390 Ohm all of them

If the colors are correct when you get home to check them, try measuring a few of these 470Ω resistors using a different DMM.
Yes all the others I randomely tested, other than the 390 ohms were in the K ranges. I can bust out my old RadioShack Multie Meter and check them as well. After I confrim the color codes.

By "Pink Baggies" I'm assuming you mean Tayda. I only have 1/8 watt in 470r from Tayda but two different baggies. (Forgot I had some and ordered more....story of my life....hah). They both tested in range for me. One of them I got in a Tayda order today.

By "Pink Baggies" I'm assuming you mean Tayda. I only have 1/8 watt in 470r from Tayda but two different baggies. (Forgot I had some and ordered more....story of my life....hah). They both tested in range for me. One of them I got in a Tayda order today.
Yes, 99% of my resistors have come from Tayda, I only have a few from Stompbox just because I needed certain things and had a cart ready to go.

Fortunatly this issue only affects my Pro10, FLock, and Pharmacist builds. All of which I think sound great.

But all three of these MBP builds I am working on use 470R;s and I have a feeling are way more sensitive to tolerance. Aquababy, Memory Man, and Electric Mistress. Might have to let Bezo's ship me a bag of resistors...

Yes, 99% of my resistors have come from Tayda, I only have a few from Stompbox just because I needed certain things and had a cart ready to go.

Fortunatly this issue only affects my Pro10, FLock, and Pharmacist builds. All of which I think sound great.

But all three of these MBP builds I am working on use 470R;s and I have a feeling are way more sensitive to tolerance. Aquababy, Memory Man, and Electric Mistress. Might have to let Bezo's ship me a bag of resistors...
I bought a "kit" of 1/8 watts from Amazon for these types of emergencies heh.

Ok, so I put in a new battery and tested several resistors everything is accurate except these four bags. My bad, one bag was 430r measuring 350r. Seems very strange to have four bags from for orders all wrong.
75DD25E8-8D4F-401E-B81E-EA66665E2449.jpeg

If you have a cheap DMM like me, it may not be accurate with smaller resistance values. Do you have some 100Ω resistors to test?

When I worked in the calibration lab we had to manually calibrate DMMs in each range.

We couldn't just set the meter to Auto-Range and measure the standards, the procedure specifically called for setting the range manually and measuring the standard for that range.

It's possible that the meter is inaccurate in a particular range (not just above or below a threshold) and accurate in others.

Try measuring two of your 470R's in series and see if you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 940 ohms.

Then try measuring two in parallel, you should get somewhere near 235 ohms.

When I worked in the calibration lab we had to manually calibrate DMMs in each range.

We couldn't just set the meter to Auto-Range and measure the standards, the procedure specifically called for setting the range manually and measuring the standard for that range.

It's possible that the meter is inaccurate in a particular range (not just above or below a threshold) and accurate in others.

Try measuring two of your 470R's in series and see if you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 940 ohms.

Then try measuring two in parallel, you should get somewhere near 235 ohms.
@Robert you are a freaking genius! I ran three together and it was exactly 1.4K so it’s my cheap A$$ DMM that is the problem. Not my wife playing tricks on me, or a conspiracy at Tayda to weird out my builds. Paranoid much…
Seriously thank you guys. Always a wealth of help!

Sometimes resistors get mismarked. Back when I worked at a commercial mfg plant, they bought resistors in reels of 2,000. They had just installed automatic insertion machines and loaded up a reel of 10K resistors. They foreman decide to turn off the verifier, a part of the equipment that measured each component before sequencing them for assembly. His reasoning was that the verifier slowed things down. Turns out that entire reel (and some other reels of 10K resistors that came in the same shipment) were actually 200Ω. They built over 1,000 boards before they realized that they were all failing in-process test. As luck would have it, engineering and the service dept had pulled some 10K resistors off a reel in mfg and we all ended up with 200Ω resistors, color-coded as 10K. So yes, shit like this is rare, but it does happen so ya gotta be careful.

Back