SOLVED Mahayana No Sound (LED on)

jwhitely

Good afternoon. This is my first post here as well as my first non-kit build. Everything went together smoothly for the most but upon completion, I’ve got LED on and off with the foot switch but no sound at all. Anyone care to take a look at a pic and see if you can spot anything? Tried gently touching components while plugged in to see if there was something loose but nothing. I’m stumped!!

Attachments

• 4F4CD447-E093-4C5C-9FD3-158D97822822.jpeg
    4F4CD447-E093-4C5C-9FD3-158D97822822.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 22
Input Jack fixed this issue!! Thanks so much. Now to figure out the bad hiss noise when active?!?!
Ok, I have 2 Mayahana's they're both quiet as a mouse even with the gain maxed out. Something else is going on if you have a bad hiss.
I'd systematically try to eliminate any external influences, like check it with a couple different power supplies.
It would help to have some clearer and larger pics of your build. Nothing else really jumped out at me looking over your build though.
Maybe clean up some solder joints and clip the tags of your off board wiring.

Ok, I have 2 Mayahana's they're both quiet as a mouse even with the gain maxed out. Something else is going on if you have a bad hiss.
I'd systematically try to eliminate any external influences, like check it with a couple different power supplies.
It would help to have some clearer and larger pics of your build. Nothing else really jumped out at me looking over your build though.
Maybe clean up some solder joints and clip the tags of your off board wiring.
Not sure if this pic is any better. I hooked it up again and with the back off, there is a little hum that seems to get greater or smaller when I touch and remove my finger from the marked red wire (blue arrow). Any thoughts? And thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 860CEFD3-6731-4D7C-9FEB-BC6B8E7C9264.jpeg
    860CEFD3-6731-4D7C-9FEB-BC6B8E7C9264.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Not sure if this pic is any better. I hooked it up again and with the back off, there is a little hum that seems to get greater or smaller when I touch and remove my finger from the marked red wire (blue arrow). Any thoughts? And thanks for all the help!
That's not unusual with the live input wire. You might try replacing that wire and routing it to the side of the enclosure so it's not directly over the components.

When I have had noise issues, it has been due to poor grounding. Looking at your board, I would try to fix this grounding point. C27377F7-41C8-42C5-9AF9-3A960EFDA5D4.jpeg

When I have had noise issues, it has been due to poor grounding. Looking at your board, I would try to fix this grounding point. View attachment 32948
Okay, I I replaced the black ground wire you marked and re-did the signal wire and re-routed it. All was good with a little less noise, so I adjusted the routing of the wire up by the the input Jack and now I have signal passing when off (bypass) but no signal at all when switched on?!?! Sorry for all the hassle but thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

• 55DEBF43-11E4-46BB-8102-6BDCDF4A35FF.jpeg
    55DEBF43-11E4-46BB-8102-6BDCDF4A35FF.jpeg
    969.9 KB · Views: 4
Okay, I I replaced the black ground wire you marked and re-did the signal wire and re-routed it. All was good with a little less noise, so I adjusted the routing of the wire up by the the input Jack and now I have signal passing when off (bypass) but no signal at all when switched on?!?! Sorry for all the hassle but thanks again for all the help.
If you had it working prior to moving the input wire, I would bet the problem is with that wire. Check those connections and maybe reflow the solder joints. Also, if there still is more than desired noise, double check and consider reflowing all the grounds from the board to the jacks. I would also consider adding more solder to the footswitch solder lugs. I like to have the solder fill the whole completely.

I can tell you are close to getting this pedal together. I have been in your shoes many times….Welcome to the club!

If you had it working prior to moving the input wire, I would bet the problem is with that wire. Check those connections and maybe reflow the solder joints. Also, if there still is more than desired noise, double check and consider reflowing all the grounds from the board to the jacks. I would also consider adding more solder to the footswitch solder lugs. I like to have the solder fill the whole completely.

I can tell you are close to getting this pedal together. I have been in your shoes many times….Welcome to the club!
Got it back to working!! The black wire on the input Jack had a bad solder at the PCB. Still has some noise, but less than before, dare I say manageable. I’ll keep playing with it and see what I can do. Thanks again so much for all the help!! My next build will be a Kliche and I’ve done two of those already so hopefully it’ll go smoother.

Got it back to working!! The black wire on the input Jack had a bad solder at the PCB. Still has some noise, but less than before, dare I say manageable. I’ll keep playing with it and see what I can do. Thanks again so much for all the help!! My next build will be a Kliche and I’ve done two of those already so hopefully it’ll go smoother.
Great news! I find that the majority of my issues are off board wiring. Enjoy!

Back