Let's Talk Velcro For A Moment

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
I'm starting up a pedalboard project and it's my first one. The woodworking phase is a non-issue for me.

My current "board" is literally just a big mdf board on the floor. All my pedals have small rubber feet where I used a cabinet bumper to help prevent sliding around. These sometimes work but usually not. I'm considering throwing some velcro on there to make my pedals more stable and look nicer. Now my questions:

-For pedals, the general consensus is that a little goes a long way when attached to the pedal itself. What are your preferences for which end goes on the pedal? The hook or loop side?

-If I were to throw some velcro on the pedal itself, is that it's permanent home? What I mean is, the velcro I have is SUPER sticky and if I choose to remove it will it take the finish off the pedal?

Reactions: fig
I got tired of dealing with velcro and the adhesive mess that comes with it, so I got a Joyo Guitto pedalboard which uses a rail-mount clamp system.

-If I were to throw some velcro on the pedal itself, is that it's permanent home? What I mean is, the velcro I have is SUPER sticky and if I choose to remove it will it take the finish off the pedal?

I remove the velcro from any used pedal I purchase, because it's usually gross and has enough hair in it to clone the previous owner.

I've rarely pulled off any finish when removing the velcro. Any labels / stickers will obviously be destroyed, but powdercoat isn't usually affected.

If you're really worried about it you could get spare raw aluminum enclosure lids and use those instead. I recall seeing a few boutique pedals over the years that came with an additional unfinished lid for that purpose.

I remove the velcro from any used pedal I purchase, because it's usually gross and has enough hair in it to clone the previous owner.

I've rarely pulled off any finish when removing the velcro. Any labels / stickers will obviously be destroyed, but powdercoat isn't usually affected.

If you're really worried about it you could get spare raw aluminum enclosure lids and use those instead. I recall seeing a few boutique pedals over the years that came with an additional unfinished lid for that purpose.
Let me rephrase then. Nearly all my pedals have been painted and have a few coats of clear coat on them. Does this change anything?

Ahhh, yeah, I'd imagine rattlecan finishes wouldn't hold up very well, especially with the good velcro.

Not to mention it'll leave behind some residue that you'll probably want to clean off with alcohol, and spray paint doesn't seem to like alcohol either.

I use those on any boss pedal (does indeed require some filing) and any spray-painted enclosure.

Seconded the endorsement of dual-lock.

I'm not as much concerned about the board itself in terms of throwing velcro on it. I can always make a new one. This one is going to be out of some scrap plywood that I will most likely paint.

So, I guess I should pick up some dual lock tape or put some kind of buffer between my finished pedal plate and the velcro.

You may be able to use a hair dryer to get it off more easily. I've never used it for Velcro but it works great for removing stickers.
And risk overheating germanium transistors? No way :)

I have the loop (the hairy part) on the board and use short pieces of hook under the pedals. Secure enough for me

And now I'm off to find out how gaffer tape is called in Polish.

I don't have a board, let alone enough pedals to really warrant one (yet!), but boards with holes in them lend themselves to zip ties. No adhesive to worry about, just doesn't look as nice IMO.

A trick you might want to consider is the use of 3 in 1 automotive lubricant and a single edge razor blade. The blade should be able to slice through the back of the velcro. Any adhesive left can be polished off. If the finish on the pedal is a clear coat of poly, you can use acetone to dissolve some of the adhesive residue.

I don't have a board, let alone enough pedals to really warrant one (yet!), but boards with holes in them lend themselves to zip ties. No adhesive to worry about, just doesn't look as nice IMO.

There’s a special place in Dante’s Hell for people who zip tie pedals to boards…😂

Now underneath? When it comes to cables I go cable clamp and zip tie crazy.

There’s a special place in Dante’s Hell for people who zip tie pedals to boards…😂

Now underneath? When it comes to cables I go cable clamp and zip tie crazy.
I think we can agree on all of this.

I figured I would go Paul Gilbert-style and get a 1x10 board, cut it to size, paint it black, and Velcro it up. However, Velcro may be dead to me, Dual Lock looks way better.

Back