DEMO Big 12 pedal demo/shoot-out

This post contains an audio or video demo

mhshizz

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I did a little video showing off a bunch of builds: BYOC, PedalPCB, (1) MadBean, and the StewMac 2Kings kit (also my favorite BOSS (OD-3) cuz why not) . This is about half of what I currently have built, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

There's no talkin', just the same 1 minute of a song I like played a dozen times.

Love it! Great demo!

Oddly the one that appealed to me the most was the Boss OD-1 clone. Followed closely by the Mayahana.

Put the head back on that guitar young man! :ROFLMAO:

Excellent shootout! (y)
Thanks! If headless is good enough for Ichika, it's good enough for me (also it's my only 3 single-coil guitar). Hmmm, perhaps you would be interested in my other, extremely silly music videos, all of which feature more traditional guitar designs:

Love it! Great demo!

Oddly the one that appealed to me the most was the Boss OD-1 clone. Followed closely by the Mayahana.

Interesting, the Yellow Overdrive is one of my least faves. Too much midrange. I do like the Mahayana, but my picks would be the 2Kings, Informant, British Blues, and Crown Jewel. Edit: and the OD-3, how could I forget!!

Side note: the 2Kings had its internal dip switches set so the red channel (used for the recording) has the soft-clipping mode engaged. I shoulda noted that in the vid somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks! If headless is good enough for Ichika, it's good enough for me (also it's my only 3 single-coil guitar). Hmmm, perhaps you would be interested in my other, extremely silly music videos, all of which feature more traditional guitar designs:

Interesting, the Yellow Overdrive is one of my least faves. Too much midrange. I do like the Mahayana, but my picks would be the 2Kings, Informant, British Blues, and Crown Jewel.

Side note: the 2Kings had its internal dip switches set so the red channel (used for the recording) has the soft-clipping mode engaged. I shoulda noted that in the vid somewhere.
High score! Very cool with tasty licks. :love:

Interesting, the Yellow Overdrive is one of my least faves. Too much midrange. I do like the Mahayana, but my picks would be the 2Kings, Informant, British Blues, and Crown Jewel.

This is soooo cool, this brings back those chuck e cheeses moments in the arcade 🤘

One thing I've found out about recording, often what sounds best in a mix is not what sounds best to me playing a pedal "out of context" of a song. When I put my "mixing hat on" I often have to decide what works best for the part as opposed to what appeals to me the most. When I put on my "Hey looky at me I'm David Gilmour....." hat on then all bets are off...... :ROFLMAO:

You guys are great! The only instrument I am worse at than guitar is…well I’m pretty bad at all I’ve tried, but I have fun anyway.

Thanks for sharing, I always love a good comparison video. In the context of the song, most of the drives sounded great. I was particularly impressed by the OD-3, Crown Jewel and Green pony. Something about the grittiness of the OD-1 and the BD-2 didn't work for me. I have never heard this song before, but I love that j rock style tone.

This is soooo cool, this brings back those chuck e cheeses moments in the arcade 🤘
High score! Very cool with tasty licks. :love:

Thanks - I have several other extremely silly, fun videos just like that on my channel (Castlevania, Super Hang-On, a surf-rock song from a tennis video game, Street Fighter II...). Check 'em out!

One thing I've found out about recording, often what sounds best in a mix is not what sounds best to me playing a pedal "out of context" of a song. When I put my "mixing hat on" I often have to decide what works best for the part as opposed to what appeals to me the most. When I put on my "Hey looky at me I'm David Gilmour....." hat on then all bets are off...... :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for sharing, I always love a good comparison video. In the context of the song, most of the drives sounded great. I was particularly impressed by the OD-3, Crown Jewel and Green pony. Something about the grittiness of the OD-1 and the BD-2 didn't work for me. I have never heard this song before, but I love that j rock style tone.

Agreed on both of these. I could probably make any of these work in a real mix with a little EQ. The Helios is the only one I actively dislike for this particular style. The more mid-heavy ones would definitely need some carving to make room for vocals, while the less mid-forward Two Kings, OD-855, and Informant probably wouldn't need much tweaking in that particular frequency range.

If I were doing a full cover, I'd also gently roll off some of the extreme high frequencies for any of them... but my Japanese is more conversational than musical, so that's out (for the time being).

Interesting, the Yellow Overdrive is one of my least faves. Too much midrange. I do like the Mahayana, but my picks would be the 2Kings, Informant, British Blues, and Crown Jewel. Edit: and the OD-3, how could I forget!!

The general approves of your video.
Screenshot_20221004_191924.jpg

I thought the 2Kings sounded best for the song and surprisingly I think I liked the Rat and Informant next best. The Mayahana was pretty good and of course the OD-3 is always a favorite of mine.

Back