Let's Talk Velcro For A Moment

I think we can agree on all of this.

I figured I would go Paul Gilbert-style and get a 1x10 board, cut it to size, paint it black, and Velcro it up. However, Velcro may be dead to me, Dual Lock looks way better.

I love dual lock. I used it everywhere.

I've been meaning to switch to velcro so this might be some needed motivation.

One of my pedalboards already has the fuzzy stuff on it--so the pedal needs the non-fuzzy side. I'm curious if I use dual-lock, does one side attach to the fuzzy stuff as well?

Dual-lock doesn’t have a B side that sticks to the A side, it sticks to it’s self. It will mate with the fuzzy side of regular Velcro quite well though. So if you’re transitioning or have a mix of dual-lock and Velcro it can work to a point. Just depends on your use case.

Dual-lock doesn’t have a B side that sticks to the A side, it sticks to it’s self. It will mate with the fuzzy side of regular Velcro quite well though. So if you’re transitioning or have a mix of dual-lock and Velcro it can work to a point. Just depends on your use case.
Whoa I had no idea it would stick to loop Velcro. That's great

Dual-lock typically just comes in a roll and if you’re ordering 3 feet or 1 meter, that’s all you’re getting. Not like Velcro where you would get 3 feet of the A side and the B side. Something to keep in mind as well when ordering.

Dual-lock typically just comes in a roll and if you’re ordering 3 feet or 1 meter, that’s all you’re getting. Not like Velcro where you would get 3 feet of the A side and the B side. Something to keep in mind as well when ordering.
A little goes a long way with dual-lock. But it definitely adds up quick.

Yeah the pedals I have dual-lock on I only put little squares in the for corners. Still hard to pull off sometimes.

Yeah the pedals I have dual-lock on I only put little squares in the for corners. Still hard to pull off sometimes.
I usually cut off a strip the width of the pedal and then cut that piece in half length wise and use the two skinny pieces on the pedal.

I usually just use a whole strip of dual lock across the rails on top of the board as well so I know I have it there for any configuration.

Whoa, I've never even heard of Dual Lock.....looks cool! Of course my "board" only has 3 pedals on it.......

One of the guitarists in my band zip ties his pedals to his board. He's an exceptional guitarist and his tone sounds great so I try not to nitpick, but I silently judge hard.

I see a lot of people with Temple Audio boards doing that because their mounts are trash and the holes make it difficult to put dual lock or Velcro down without obstructing the path for cables.

I see a lot of people with Temple Audio boards doing that because their mounts are trash and the holes make it difficult to put dual lock or Velcro down without obstructing the path for cables.
I had to go back and check pictures, it looks like his is a Chemistry Design Werks board, but same idea as the Temple Audio boards. I'm not a fan.

I had to go back and check pictures, it looks like his is a Chemistry Design Werks board, but same idea as the Temple Audio boards. I'm not a fan.

I'm what you call an excessive dual-locker. I run 1" width strips the full length of each rail and i typically do as I said before and cut a piece the width of a pedal and then cut that down lengthwise and attach it to the pedal.

I want shit to stay where I put it.

A trick you might want to consider is the use of 3 in 1 automotive lubricant and a single edge razor blade. The blade should be able to slice through the back of the velcro. Any adhesive left can be polished off. If the finish on the pedal is a clear coat of poly, you can use acetone to dissolve some of the adhesive residue.
No—not acetone!! Acetone is a really strong solvent, and will cut through most polyester (and polyurethane) finishes.Alcohol (which is strong enough to affect nitro and some acrylic based lacquers) would be okay on a poly finish, but it might soften it, so I'd go easy.

I always start with mineral spirits (kerosene), and if that doesn't work, I move up to naphtha. Then alcohol. Acetone would be next, probably followed by Toluene or Benzene. But really, all three are dangerous to use, for both the pedal and non-industrial use.

No—not acetone!! Acetone is a really strong solvent, and will cut through most polyester (and polyurethane) finishes.Alcohol (which is strong enough to affect nitro and some acrylic based lacquers) would be okay on a poly finish, but it might soften it, so I'd go easy.

I always start with mineral spirits (kerosene), and if that doesn't work, I move up to naphtha. Then alcohol. Acetone would be next, probably followed by Toluene or Benzene. But really, all three are dangerous to use, for both the pedal and non-industrial use.
Please note I wrote "if". Acetone is ok on a catalyzed polyurethane based finishes. It can dissolve the adhesive without affecting the finish.

Acetone can dissolve a lot of plastics and nitro. I highly doubt anyone uses nitro as a topcoat for pedals.

Back