Stuff you wanted to know but were afraid to ask

I drill enclosures by hand and sometimes it gets sloppy. When this happens, I’ll drill the hole a little bigger, or try to drill a bit toward where the pot or switch wants to go. Like so: View attachment 33386
So my dumb question - is there anything bad about doing this??
I use a rasp to enlarge the hole in the right direction when that happens so I have more control on how much larger I make it.

I should have told you I only built two pedals up to now and both worked.
The second socket, I think, was faulty from the beginning, only the battery worked. The socket on the first build is now intermitting. The plug does not hold the jack properly.

I drill enclosures by hand and sometimes it gets sloppy. When this happens, I’ll drill the hole a little bigger, or try to drill a bit toward where the pot or switch wants to go. Like so: View attachment 33386
So my dumb question - is there anything bad about doing this??
Did you get the brushed look yourself or buy it that way? I've tried once to do a brushed aluminum with sandaper, but never got any real results. Any tips if you did it, or know places to but enclosures that are already brushed?

Did you get the brushed look yourself or buy it that way? I've tried once to do a brushed aluminum with sandaper, but never got any real results. Any tips if you did it, or know places to but enclosures that are already brushed?
I did it myself on a raw enclosure - I believe either 60 or 80 grit sandpaper. Thanks for noticing, I was surprised at how good it looked! I made sure I was wiping straight, and only wiped one way instead of back and forth/ up and down. Still there are some curved lines in there.

Is there any reason other than difficulty I wouldn’t want to add legs to my smd j201s to use for breadboard and vero board use?

Is there any reason other than difficulty I wouldn’t want to add legs to my smd j201s to use for breadboard and vero board use?
Turns them into BJTs it turns out, can’t recommend. 79A9EEB2-DA4A-486E-A0DB-79F47F73F254.jpeg The writing on this one seemed a little sloppy so maybe it is fake, I’ll retest with my crisper looking ones to see tomorrow. 5AA2661F-1143-4B21-96E1-1049BB5A3A07.jpeg

Is there any reason why I’d want to deviate away from only having E12 resistors?

There are a bunch of odd ball resistors in builds, could I just get away with using the closest from the E12 series? (Or making teepees).

Is there any reason why I’d want to deviate away from only having E12 resistors?

There are a bunch of odd ball resistors in builds, could I just get away with using the closest from the E12 series? (Or making teepees).
I would just stick with standard values: measure a few and find the closest value to what you need.

Why when I’m building something and set something down, a diode, my wire cutters, a piece of wire, the nut and washer for the jack or pot. I somehow always put it down in the worst possible spot and it takes me forever to find it even though I set it down 30 seconds ago, somehow it ends up under my printed schematic, and 3 bags of resistors. And no the answer isn’t I need to keep a tidier workspace.

Where tf can I get high quality jacks for the Power I/O module?! I feel like I’ve exhausted the internet looking for 3pin PCB mount jacks that fit the board.

Why when I’m building something and set something down, a diode, my wire cutters, a piece of wire, the nut and washer for the jack or pot. I somehow always put it down in the worst possible spot and it takes me forever to find it even though I set it down 30 seconds ago, somehow it ends up under my printed schematic, and 3 bags of resistors. And no the answer isn’t I need to keep a tidier workspace.
This is my life- keys, hat, drink, daughter, everything.

Stupid question and I probably already know the answer. If I don’t want to include a battery snap in a box, is it just as easy as not wiring it up and just using a mono input jack? Im thinking yes, right?

And on BYOC boards, I wouldn’t hook up the wire shown to the power Jack and battery snap, correct?

Thanks.

21C38EE4-2A55-4958-B190-628EED746984.jpeg

Back