Hello, I am the Raincoat! (BuggFX RainCoat)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So as I was writing the title to this post I saw a couple threads pop up and somehow there's a "pervert" aspect to this pedal that I completely missed until now......thanks @jjjimi84....now I can't get that image out of my head......... :LOL:

I'm always interested in building @Robert's original designs and this is the latest one.
Wow! This is really an underrated pedal.

Not surprised that it sounds great though. There's not a lot of demo's of this out there, but there should be!

Kind of a borderline fuzz/distortion pedal that has a bit of a Big Muff quality to it. Maybe a bit more focused than a BMP but it can definitely get that vibe at some settings. Sounds really rude and snarly with the P90 bridge pickup on my LP Special.

Need to try it with my Strat and some humbuckers tomorrow. Very cool pedal, super easy and fast build. Low parts count. Highly recommended!

When I went to go pull the parts for this build this afternoon, I realized I had no BC549's at all. I pinged @Robert to see if there was any particular gains I should be looking for in a BJT and he said it wasn't very fussy about that. So I used some of my recently acquired stash of vintage NOS Telefunken mojo laden BC239C's :)

But I did sort through them and picked 4 that were in the ~420 HFe range to get into BC549 territory. I fully committed and soldered them in hahaha!
They sound great! But I'm sure any other NPN would sound fine too.

This is another rattle can paint job. So another lesson I learned.....when the can says "Two in one, color and primer" don't believe it. You still need a coat of primer for best results as I found out. I had also painted this enclosure before drilling, like my other one I used for my Cleaver build that I posted about yesterday.

So after I punched and drilled I had to give it another light coat to cover up the scuff marks. Luckily this particular paint dries very quickly. It was ready to go in a couple hours.

I picked this color because it just kinda looked cool to me in the store. Has a "stone texture" look to it and I thought it would make a cool looking pedal.
Probably be seeing a few more builds with this color as I still have most of the can left.

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

Kindly remember: the perverted hype that offends so many is not of my making.

The name was truly innocent... it came up during a discussion with a friend.

"What is this? It is a fuzz or a distortion?"
"Well I don't know, but it's definitely not a raincoat"

And so it was. :ROFLMAO:

But... you've made yourself a liar by naming it that. Honestly, I have an exceptionally filthy brain and I didn't think of that when I ordered mine.

As far as the rattle can thing, I've had a few of the textured type krylon cans end up defective and barely got a single use out of some. Considering sourcing my spraypaint from someplace better than my local Kroger (fred meyer).

Last edited:
But... you've made yourself a liar by naming it that. Honestly, I have an exceptionally filthy brain and I didn't think of that when I ordered mine.

As far as the rattle can thing, I've had a few of the textured type krylon cans end up defective and barely got a single use out of some. Considering sourcing my spraypaint from someplace better than my local Kroger (fred meyer).
This might be my new favorite can though. Krylon metallic dark metal. Screenshot_20221013_134915.jpg

For some reason I had it in my head this was a modulation pedal, I'll have to pick one up next order (because like I don't I have enough boards already)
You might be thinking of the Daydream, another original by Robert.

I call mine Burnin' Rubber...but I have no shame. :ROFLMAO:

I hope its not my fault🫣😳

But I guess that is what happens when you paint a condom guy and film a video of it.

I agree with everyone it is a beautiful sounding pedal.

Back