Clean Preamp for DIY practice amp - suggestions please

Grubb

Hi folks, I have decided to build my kids a practice amp for Christmas seeing as they have started playing recently. So far the plan is to use Erik Vincent's 10 Minute Amp circuit (7W class A-B power amp) and a Belton brick reverb like the Boing. I just need a Fendery clean preamp as the front end of the amp, preferably something I can DIY. I was considering waiting for the Doxie but then I read that they perform best in front of a full guitar amp, whereas I want something that can go straight into the power amp section. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Yep, I think that's perfect, thank you @Elijah-Baley

Here's what I've got so far, the only part of the circuit I'm not confident about is the speaker protection segment. I found a circuit that uses a 555 timer IC to drive a relay closed for about 5 seconds, which I'm hoping will help me avoid thuds and pops through the speaker cabinet. I might try and trim it to 3 seconds if I can work out how to set the R and C values.

Amped.png

I took some visual cues from the Keeley Aria with the look of the enclosure design, it's currently planned for a 1590XX but I'll see how big it ends up. My daughter has no idea about this project and today asked for an amp for Christmas so there's a fair chance this will be a winner as far as presents go!

Amped v2.png

Updates: The good folks at DIY Stompboxes helped me simplify and improve the design. It now has a Mach 1-flavoured clipping section going into the Tonemender tonestack. Switching for the reverb was removed as the circuit has a dry path that is always on, so the knob can control whether or not the reverb is active. And the amplifier chip has built-in soft-start capability, so the speaker mute circuit was removed. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

Schematic:
Amped.png

Updated exterior (1590xx, Tayda light gold):
Amped V3.png

PCB:
Amped.png

Can anyone spot the neat symmetry cheat I learned from Robert? :LOL:

Updates: The good folks at DIY Stompboxes helped me simplify and improve the design. It now has a Mach 1-flavoured clipping section going into the Tonemender tonestack. Switching for the reverb was removed as the circuit has a dry path that is always on, so the knob can control whether or not the reverb is active. And the amplifier chip has built-in soft-start capability, so the speaker mute circuit was removed. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

Schematic:
View attachment 34344

Updated exterior (1590xx, Tayda light gold):
View attachment 34347

PCB:
View attachment 34346

Can anyone spot the neat symmetry cheat I learned from Robert? :LOL:
Re "symmetry cheat" ... you mean like where your lightning bolt logo is to replace an electrolytic and the "NRG" text & logo to make up for the cap and resistor ?

Haha that's exactly right. I was looking at PCBs here the other day and I noticed some "caps" with logos rather than values and I was floored by the genius of it 😂
Do I win one of your Christmas boards?

Seriously, though, I think your kids are gonna be well chuffed.

I might try to layout a perf of your schematic, if that's okay with you.

Do I win one of your Christmas boards?
Seriously, though, I think your kids are gonna be well chuffed.
I might try to layout a perf of your schematic, if that's okay with you.
There may well be spare boards that I'm unlikely to build. The downside with rolling my own PCBs is that I always end up with spares as there's a 5-board minimum order. But perf away if you prefer, I shared in the hope it would be useful to someone else. None of these circuits are mine in the first place!

Oops, so I made a slight mistake with my board for this project. I accidentally put the wrong DPDT switch DipTrace component in my PCB design and didn't pick up the error. Now I have physical boards that won't fit a mini or sub-mini DPDT toggle.

Anyone know what kind of DPDT switch might work with 2.54mm pin spacing in both horizontal and vertical directions?

1670133697435.png

Oops, so I made a slight mistake with my board for this project. I accidentally put the wrong DPDT switch DipTrace component in my PCB design and didn't pick up the error. Now I have physical boards that won't fit a mini or sub-mini DPDT toggle.

Anyone know what kind of DPDT switch might work with 2.54mm pin spacing in both horizontal and vertical directions?

View attachment 37284

What about a 3PDT toggle with one column of lugs cut off? Problem with that is the switch will be off-centre.

Offboard wire a micro-switch, if possible. Maybe... Offboard wire the mids switch & the Mids knob and manoeuvre their positions a tad, swapped or ?

I've looked at some slide switches, too, but nothing comes up with 2.54 on both X & Y axis.

How'bouit a pushbutton that you have to bend the pins a tad? This one has a 2.54 spacing vertically, and 2X that spacing horizontally, so maybe the pins could/would
be able to reach with a bit of bending...
Ahh never mind that one, it's common pins are 3 and 6. Never seen that before in a DPDT, common's always been 2 and 5.

...still, a pushbutton might be out there that fits...

Get on the SushiBox FX thread and check out the Echo Foxtrot for a simple clean TUBE driven preamp. It's got a EF86 preamp tube which is not a Fender approach. . . . BUT. . . . if you can wait I know that Nathan is working on a DIY blackface Fender preamp that I expect (hope) is not too far off from release. It should be a simple straightforward AB763 circuit w/ Gain, Bass, Mid, Treb, Vol. I am salivating just thinking about it.

Back