Echo-Foxtrot Build

Thanks. I like this one but haven't had a chance to try it as a front end boost or push it with a boost. I don't have much experience with EF86's but I'd describe it as "big and warm" at the risk of using too many cliches. The tone control sits in a nice sweet spot to take the edge off and on mine it's hitting unity at about 11 to noon and is capable of getting fairly loud by about 3 o'clock. It stays clean over the whole range. It's surprisingly quiet (I'd heard complaints about EF's being prone to microphonics). I'd think this would make a great front end or post process for anyone that wants to warm up a modeller.

Thanks. I like this one but haven't had a chance to try it as a front end boost or push it with a boost. I don't have much experience with EF86's but I'd describe it as "big and warm" at the risk of using too many cliches. The tone control sits in a nice sweet spot to take the edge off and on mine it's hitting unity at about 11 to noon and is capable of getting fairly loud by about 3 o'clock. It stays clean over the whole range. It's surprisingly quiet (I'd heard complaints about EF's being prone to microphonics). I'd think this would make a great front end or post process for anyone that wants to warm up a modeller.
Dude you just made me want to go buy a board and build it! You know what crazy i actually have it with all the parts and i forgot i did! Now i know what im going to be building soon! Im sooo excited that you like it! I was worried about the mircophonics being a problem with this tube and since i didnt get one of those rings i thought i was going to be dealing with noise. Thats awesome that its quiet!

Dude you just made me want to go buy a board and build it! You know what crazy i actually have it with all the parts and i forgot i did! Now i know what im going to be building soon! Im sooo excited that you like it! I was worried about the mircophonics being a problem with this tube and since i didnt get one of those rings i thought i was going to be dealing with noise. Thats awesome that its quiet!
Yeah the tubes can be hit and miss. I actually have a bunch (30 or so) of EF86 on hand that I've been meaning to go through and test for microphonics and get rid of the really bad ones. I think it's fair to say that all EF86 are microphonic, maybe 50% or so are reasonable enough that in most applications you won't notice, 30% are bad enough to be noticeable, and 20% are so bad they're unusable.

These are numbers I pulled out of nowhere and are not measured statistics, but you get the idea. In my anecdotal experience JJ/Tesla have been consistently low microphonic, TAD have been hit or miss, and winged C (Svetlana) have been hit, miss, or really bad miss.

Yeah the tubes can be hit and miss. I actually have a bunch (30 or so) of EF86 on hand that I've been meaning to go through and test for microphonics and get rid of the really bad ones. I think it's fair to say that all EF86 are microphonic, maybe 50% or so are reasonable enough that in most applications you won't notice, 30% are bad enough to be noticeable, and 20% are so bad they're unusable.

These are numbers I pulled out of nowhere and are not measured statistics, but you get the idea. In my anecdotal experience JJ/Tesla have been consistently low microphonic, TAD have been hit or miss, and winged C (Svetlana) have been hit, miss, or really bad miss.
I bought 2 tubes cause i have an "excessive" disorder when it comes to components....maybe ill swap them out if i can hear noise and see if the other is better in that regard. Thanks for sharing definitely keeping this in mind when its ready to test!

I used a TAD in mine as well. I'm usually a JJ guy, can't remember why I went with TAD this time but there was probably a good reason... :p ..Great looking build! I love mine for certain applications for sure!

Back