Phaser-palooza! (And other builds)

dan.schumaker

Here are a few of the builds that I've finished up in the last few weeks. It turned out I was on quite a phaser kick :) No matter if you like JFET, Optical or OTA phasers, I have you covered...

Lumina - The Lumina is a take on the Phase 100 circuit. It is a 6-stage optical phaser. Instead of using VTL-5C3/2's I went with the roll your own method. I made sure to add a second pad on the PCB so I could use two LDR's for it (the LDR's are just the basic ones from Tayda, nothing special). Instead of the 4-way rotary switch like on the Phase 100, I have two switches to control the Feedback and Intensity. Its a great sounding and chewy phaser!
22102-Lumina.jpg

Burden - Instead of an optical phaser, the Burden is based off of the Boss PH-1R phaser. This is your typical JFET phaser, pretty similar in sound and feel to a Phase 90. If you like the sound of that one, you will feel right at home with this! The added controls for Feedback and Depth really make this a versatile phaser.
22103-Burden.jpg

Ganymede - Next up is the Ganymede Phaser. This one is a 6-stage optical phaser, pretty similar to the Mutron Phase II. I know a lot of people consider that their absolute favorite phaser, and with good reason. Thick and chewy, it has something special that most phasers just don't have. I added a 3-way switch to let you choose between 2, 4 or 6 stages of phasing.
22114-Ganymede.jpg

Kavana - And rounding out the Phasers is the Kavana Phaser. This is based off of the Bad Stone phaser. I wanted to work up a phaser that was simple to build and I didn't have to worry about matching any JFETS or worrying too much about LDR specs. The Kavana is a simple to build and setup phaser that has lots of cool sounds in it. The Phasing is pretty simple with controls for Speed and Feedback. I also have a Manual control and switch, which stops the LFO and lets you set the phase point. Its a cool feature, but one that I'm not sure I would use a ton. Other than that, its another interesting sounding phaser.
22113-Kavana.jpg

Machine Gun - And for good measure, this could (kinda) fall in the Phaser camp. The Machine Gun is a 2-in-1 pedal with a Silicon Fuzz Face feeding into a vibe circuit (based on my Spiralizer circuit). The Fuzz side has a 4-way tone rotary switch to give different voicings, as well as a Thick control to set the input tone. I also added an order switch for those that like the vibe first.
22104-Machine-Gun.jpg

Vaporizor - The Vaporizor is based on the Boss VB-2 Vibrato circuit. I've always loved this circuit, and its taken me a while to figure out how to make it work in a mini. After a few revisions playing around with the switching, I was able to make it so that the pedal will work in standard "push the switch and its on" mode, as well as a momentary mode with the ramp switch. The throb of this can get really deep and seasick, so its not for everyone, but using the momentary mode to really add some texture, its something that nothing else can replicate.
22111-Vaporizor-Jr.jpg

Legion - I've really been on a kick of making multi-effects boxes lately (See my Gypsy and Six-Shooter builds, as well as my upcoming Brick build), so this is a continuation of that. The Legion is based on the Ibanez UE-300 box. It contains an OTA compressor, similar to a Dyna-Comp, a Tube Screamer and a CS-9 compressor (in stereo). I really like this setup here. The Compressor is super quiet and does a great job of pushing the tube screamer, and having a stereo output with the chorus adds a huge spread to the sound. Plenty of jacks on this one; 1 input, a Send and Return Loop, a dry output after the compressor and stereo outputs on the end of the circuit. Next up is one based on the UE-305 which swaps the Tube Screamer for an analog delay. I just need to build the board up for that one.
22106-Legion.jpg

Star Chambre Delay - I've had this one finished for a long time, I just now actually got around to boxing it up. The guys at Lectric-Fx did an awesome job at this one. Its an analog delay, but it has something different than a typical DM-2 based delay. I can't put my finger on it, but something about this delay is special, I love how warm and organic it sounds, definitely a recommended build for anyone!
22105-Star-Chambre.jpg

Let me introduce Blade, Laser, Blazer, Phaser, and I believe you've met my fitness Consigliere Michelle........

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fig
Here are a few of the builds that I've finished up in the last few weeks. It turned out I was on quite a phaser kick :) No matter if you like JFET, Optical or OTA phasers, I have you covered...

Lumina - The Lumina is a take on the Phase 100 circuit. It is a 6-stage optical phaser. Instead of using VTL-5C3/2's I went with the roll your own method. I made sure to add a second pad on the PCB so I could use two LDR's for it (the LDR's are just the basic ones from Tayda, nothing special). Instead of the 4-way rotary switch like on the Phase 100, I have two switches to control the Feedback and Intensity. Its a great sounding and chewy phaser!
22102-Lumina.jpg

Burden - Instead of an optical phaser, the Burden is based off of the Boss PH-1R phaser. This is your typical JFET phaser, pretty similar in sound and feel to a Phase 90. If you like the sound of that one, you will feel right at home with this! The added controls for Feedback and Depth really make this a versatile phaser.
22103-Burden.jpg

Ganymede - Next up is the Ganymede Phaser. This one is a 6-stage optical phaser, pretty similar to the Mutron Phase II. I know a lot of people consider that their absolute favorite phaser, and with good reason. Thick and chewy, it has something special that most phasers just don't have. I added a 3-way switch to let you choose between 2, 4 or 6 stages of phasing.
22114-Ganymede.jpg

Kavana - And rounding out the Phasers is the Kavana Phaser. This is based off of the Bad Stone phaser. I wanted to work up a phaser that was simple to build and I didn't have to worry about matching any JFETS or worrying too much about LDR specs. The Kavana is a simple to build and setup phaser that has lots of cool sounds in it. The Phasing is pretty simple with controls for Speed and Feedback. I also have a Manual control and switch, which stops the LFO and lets you set the phase point. Its a cool feature, but one that I'm not sure I would use a ton. Other than that, its another interesting sounding phaser.
22113-Kavana.jpg

Machine Gun - And for good measure, this could (kinda) fall in the Phaser camp. The Machine Gun is a 2-in-1 pedal with a Silicon Fuzz Face feeding into a vibe circuit (based on my Spiralizer circuit). The Fuzz side has a 4-way tone rotary switch to give different voicings, as well as a Thick control to set the input tone. I also added an order switch for those that like the vibe first.
22104-Machine-Gun.jpg

Vaporizor - The Vaporizor is based on the Boss VB-2 Vibrato circuit. I've always loved this circuit, and its taken me a while to figure out how to make it work in a mini. After a few revisions playing around with the switching, I was able to make it so that the pedal will work in standard "push the switch and its on" mode, as well as a momentary mode with the ramp switch. The throb of this can get really deep and seasick, so its not for everyone, but using the momentary mode to really add some texture, its something that nothing else can replicate.
22111-Vaporizor-Jr.jpg

Legion - I've really been on a kick of making multi-effects boxes lately (See my Gypsy and Six-Shooter builds, as well as my upcoming Brick build), so this is a continuation of that. The Legion is based on the Ibanez UE-300 box. It contains an OTA compressor, similar to a Dyna-Comp, a Tube Screamer and a CS-9 compressor (in stereo). I really like this setup here. The Compressor is super quiet and does a great job of pushing the tube screamer, and having a stereo output with the chorus adds a huge spread to the sound. Plenty of jacks on this one; 1 input, a Send and Return Loop, a dry output after the compressor and stereo outputs on the end of the circuit. Next up is one based on the UE-305 which swaps the Tube Screamer for an analog delay. I just need to build the board up for that one.
22106-Legion.jpg

Star Chambre Delay - I've had this one finished for a long time, I just now actually got around to boxing it up. The guys at Lectric-Fx did an awesome job at this one. Its an analog delay, but it has something different than a typical DM-2 based delay. I can't put my finger on it, but something about this delay is special, I love how warm and organic it sounds, definitely a recommended build for anyone!
22105-Star-Chambre.jpg
You got me real interested in the Star Chamber delay now. I just built the AquaBaby (MBP's DM2) and it's got a wee bit too much "rrrrrrrr" on the repeats. I also notice that the Star Chamber does not use the MN3101 clock chip?

Very lovely work! On the Lumina, have you experimented with isolating the three “vactrols” so they don’t bleed light onto each other? I’m not saying it would make it any better, just curious about the change in effect.

Very lovely work! On the Lumina, have you experimented with isolating the three “vactrols” so they don’t bleed light onto each other? I’m not saying it would make it any better, just curious about the change in effect.
I haven't experimented with it. It sounds really good as is, and I doubt it would impact anything too much.

Back