Mojotone Custom 50 - DIY Hiwatt DR504 clone

MattG

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is my build of the Mojotone Custom 50 Amplifier Kit, a Hiwatt DR504 clone. I've had this built for a few months now. I've now logged several hours of practice on it, and also used it for one gig. All the parts, including the cabinet, were from Mojotone, I just did the assembly.

I'm super happy with everything about this, from the kit quality, to the build, to the final result. I've only built one other tube guitar amp, the Trinity Triwatt. The Trinity Triwatt is a Hiwatt "inspired" amp, but the Mojotone Custom 50 is intended to be an exact replica of the DR504.

If you've ever seen a picture of the wiring in a real vintage Hiwatt, they are a thing of beauty: they are famous for the "military spec" wiring, where every single lead is laid out with only straight runs and right angles, and cut perfectly to length. I think my Custom 50 lead dress is decent, but still not true vintage Hiwatt class. I really tried hard to take my time and make every wire run as neat as possible. I can at least say the wiring is better than in my Triwatt; that wiring is passable, but certainly not as neat as it could be. But I give myself a pass, since it was my first tube amp build, and also I was in a hurry to play it!

I'm running it through a Hi-Tone vertical 2x12 cabinet (which they make wide enough to accommodate the full width of the head). I used to have a DIY horizontal cabinet that I made about 20 years ago, long since sold. My carpentry skills are mediocre at best (seems I can never get perfectly square and fitted joints). So I'm perfectly happy to buy a commercial speaker cab. Also, Hi-Tone has some reproduction Fane speakers that are not available for individual purchase, they are only available when loaded in their cabs and combos.

I've never played a real Hiwatt, but I can't imagine they are too different than the Custom 50. To my knowledge, there's nothing particularly special about the components used, except perhaps the transformers. Internet hearsay suggests these Heyboer reproductions of the Patridge transformers used by vintage Hiwatt are about as good as you can get. Either way, I'm completely happy with the sound of this amp, it's a great big clean machine. The gig I played was an outdoor gig, and even then, the master volume stayed under 10:00 o'clock. I haven't had this amp up loud enough to get natural amp overdrive! That is the biggest difference compared to the Triwatt, the latter does break up much earlier. With the Triwatt, I can get noticeable preamp grind before the input volumes are maxed, and the power section will start breaking up around noon on the master volume.

That said, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable tackling the Custom 50 build if I hadn't done the Triwatt previously. The only documentation Mojotone provided was the schematic and layout diagram. And that is sufficient. But it would have intimidated me if I didn't have the Triwatt experience. In addition to schematic and layout diagram, the Triwatt also came with a fairly lengthy and detailed build guide; plus Trinity has their own forums, and lots of people have posted pics of their completed build, and I leaned on that a lot. The Mojotone kit packing and organization was unbelievably good; seriously, someone must have spent at least a couple hours getting it all ready for shipment.

My only complaint is that they didn't include the adjustable bias circuit. The originals did not have an adjustable bias, and that was Mojotone's goal, to exactly recreate the originals. My argument is that, when the originals were made, high-quality consistent tubes were readily available, which made a reasonable case for not needing to adjust the bias. But today's current-production tubes don't appear to be as consistent, so I think an adjustable bias is a hard requirement these days. Eventually, I plan to add the bias adjustment circuit, but that's a project for another day.

All in all, totally happy with the kit and build. It did take a long time to build, mostly because I forced myself to go super slow, and try to make everything as neat as possible. I'm tempted to build another one to turn into a combo, but that's probably a 30-40 hour commitment. I might cheat and just get a Ceriatone Hey-What without transformers, and install the Heyboers.

Attachments

• headshot.jpg
    headshot.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 73
  • guts_overview_angle_4.jpg
    guts_overview_angle_4.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 71
  • guts_overview_angle_3.jpg
    guts_overview_angle_3.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 64
  • guts_overview_angle_2.jpg
    guts_overview_angle_2.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 71
  • guts_overview_angle_1.jpg
    guts_overview_angle_1.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 73
  • guts_overview.jpg
    guts_overview.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 68
  • chassis_top_without_cab_3.jpg
    chassis_top_without_cab_3.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 58
  • chassis_top_without_cab_2.jpg
    chassis_top_without_cab_2.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 49
  • chassis_top_without_cab_1.jpg
    chassis_top_without_cab_1.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 54
  • on_2x12v_speaker_cab.jpg
    on_2x12v_speaker_cab.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 63
This is great. I'd love to hear your observations on the tonal differences between that Triwatt and the 504. What has been your experiences with different pedals on both amps in terms of how they sound? Does the 504 get any dirt or is it clean like a blackface? I've never played a dr103 and have always been curious about it but at this point about 10 amps in with a gig tested Matamp GT120 prototype I can't justify the expense of a Hiwatt build yet.

Great build. Give yourself credit. That is wonderful wiring. Mojotone has some great kits. I made a 5W Vibrochamp and does the job nicely. I have been thinking about a reverb unit, but that is a pricey kit for one effect.

Wow, thank you all for the compliments, I'm not worthy! In my Triwatt build report, another forum member posted this picture of his Hiwatt build - that's how the wiring is supposed to look. (And IIRC, that was a VHR kit build, which, if I'm not mistaken, turned into Hi-Tone amps.) But that's the standard I'm holding myself to. I'd really like to watch someone do that, I just don't know how they get it so neat. I easily spent 10-20 minutes on some of the individual connections in that build, trying to get them neat and tidy.

This is great. I'd love to hear your observations on the tonal differences between that Triwatt and the 504. What has been your experiences with different pedals on both amps in terms of how they sound? Does the 504 get any dirt or is it clean like a blackface? I've never played a dr103 and have always been curious about it but at this point about 10 amps in with a gig tested Matamp GT120 prototype I can't justify the expense of a Hiwatt build yet.

It's been a while since I've put the Mojo Custom 50 right next to the Triwatt. But, when run clean, at modest (family friendly) volumes, there is some subtle difference, but they are very close. The real test is to use the same speaker. But that Hi-Tone cab only has one input. So to use the same speakers, I'd have to turn one amp off, patch in the other. In the time it takes to do that, my aural memory fades pretty quickly. What I seemed to notice is that maybe the Custom 50 is slightly brighter, while the Triwatt is ever-so-slightly warmer.

But, just like if you have two pedals built exactly the same, component tolerances will account for some subtle sound differences. And there are a lot of components in these amps. Meaning, if I had two DR504s or two Triwatts next to each other, I would expect some subtle differences. So I'm confident in asserting that, at least at modest volumes, when run clean, they can be readily adjusted to sound essentially the same.

In terms of feel, I also think the Triwatt is a bit "looser" - to me, it's a bit more forgiving than the DR504, which, consistent with their reputation, is quite stiff and unforgiving. (Really, these amps demand a player with better skills than me, but someday hopefully I can do the circuit justice!)

Now the minute you step on a dirt pedal - even just a very light overdrive, edge-of-breakup kind of deal - the differences are imperceptible, at least to me.

One thing I will say: the Triwatt has three inputs, the normal, the bright, and the "link". The DR504 has four inputs, normal high, normal low, bright high, bright low. You can see in the pics that I used a short patch cable to bridge the normal and bright inputs. Some day I intend to hardwire a link input, just like the Triwatt. Using the Triwatt link input, or the DR504 with the channels bridged, allows you to use both channel volumes (i.e. normal preamp volume, bright preamp volume). What I end up doing is using those two volumes as fairly course tone controls. Then the familiar bass/mid/treble controls are for fine-tuning. To me, if you find the base Hiwatt tone at least not-offensive, you should be able to EQ into something reasonably satisfactory. And if you actually enjoy the base tone, well, then you're just a little tweaking away from getting exactly what you want.

As for dirt from the amp itself: the Triwatt can get dirty. And in fact, a big reason I wanted the 50-watter was so that I had more clean headroom. I found while playing the Triwatt at a block party, I couldn't get the pristine cleans I wanted at volume. So I think the big selling point for a lower-wattage Hiwatt-style amp, such as the Triwatt, is if you want Hiwatt overdrive at non-stadium volumes. With the Triwatt channel volumes past noon, I can start to get a hint of dirt, and cranking the channel volumes all the way will give some light preamp overdrive.

On the other hand, I initially put a 12AT7 in the phase inverter position (V4) on the Custom 50, and with the channel volumes dimed, I had pretty much zero dirt. I just dropped in a 12AX7 to see if I could get just a bit of dirt from the preamp, and with the channel volumes all the way up, it was just the slightest bit of dirt.

As for power amp breakup: the Triwatt will do it around noon on the master volume, maybe a bit past noon when running KT66 tubes. It's loud, but not unbearably so.

I haven't had an opportunity to push the Custom 50 much past 11:00 on the master volume. It gets very loud, very quickly. So... I honestly can't answer where the power amp breakup point is on the Mojo! But, I did play an outdoor gig with the 2x12 cab, and running it around 9:00-10:00 was sufficient volume-wise. I really can't envision a scenario where I need to go louder! But I do have one of these DIY attenuators in my pipeline, so before too long, I should be able to test the full sweep of the master volume without risk of my family leaving me.

Thing of beauty! I built six of these almost 20 years ago. I did not use a kit, just gathered everything together and built them from my own layout. I still use one of them, more than any of the other amps I made just cus they're so easy to get a great tone from. I used Mercury Magnetics iron because they're a 10 minute drive from my house and even tho they're very expensive, by the time you add in the freight costs for any cheaper trannies it was identical costs....

You can see the layout I drew, I actually printed it out on four sheets of paper. This was before everyone had huge monitors, which is what I use now.... After this first one I switched to using solid core teflon wire....

{edited} there is no amp breakup on Hiwatt DR504, there were several mods made to Gilmour's so that he could get some grit from it. However at full volume my 4x12 celestions (2XG12H + 2XG12M) breakup into a magnificent ROAR!!!

151 smaller.jpg

152 smaller.jpg

Last edited:
Back