“Innie” style dc jack with nut on outside

Locrian99

Am I looking for a unicorn here? I like the smaller diameter dc jacks don’t need to be switched (in fact I prefer not) but I absolutely hate having to desolder the dc jack to remove the pedal from the enclosure. Is there such a thing as a “innie” with an external nut or even if the outside protrudes a slimmer one than. The ones that need the 14mm hole.

Do you just want the jack to not stick out so far? Maybe you can find a separate nut or spacer to put on the inside to make it a little more pleasing looking. Also be careful of the metal jacks, they will ground out to your enclosure if you don't insulate them really well and your power supply will short.

Do you just want the jack to not stick out so far? Maybe you can find a separate nut or spacer to put on the inside to make it a little more pleasing looking. Also be careful of the metal jacks, they will ground out to your enclosure if you don't insulate them really well and your power supply will short.
I want to have the hole in the enclosure be this size and I don’t want to have to desolder the jack from the wiring if I want to pull the board out of the enclosure. I’d prefer it only sticking out this far but that’s not a deal breaker. An “outtie” without such a large diameter would be fine.

Attachments

• 91D34D31-4570-495D-9AC5-D71A4B67EBF2.jpeg
    91D34D31-4570-495D-9AC5-D71A4B67EBF2.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 9
You mean the cliff DC jack? Tayda has a knock off, I bought quite a few of them, they compare nicely to the cliff which was much more. The backstop is 14.9mm Tayda A-868 is on the left, the cliff is on the right...

1668411740070.png

You mean the cliff DC jack? Tayda has a knock off, I bought quite a few of them, they compare nicely to the cliff which was much more. The backstop is 14.9mm Tayda A-868 is on the left, the cliff is on the right...

View attachment 35978
Nope, I have those and use them mainly, what I’m trying to get away from don’t like the big hole. But like that I can remove the dc jack without having to unsolder it.

I don't think there's anything you haven't found. Desoldering isn't such a big deal, worst case you use a solder wick to clean up.

I don't think there's anything you haven't found. Desoldering isn't such a big deal, worst case you use a solder wick to clean up.
It’s not the end of the world by any means. But I’d prefer not to. Last night while doing it I knicked the plastic which in turn made the nut want to go back on correctly got annoyed grabbed a new jack, made me think I’d prefer the other way of it exists.

Someone should make a connector that you wire up and friction slides/snaps on the leads.

There’s your $10 idea.

Or a Jack specifically geared for the diyers that comes in two pieces and snaps together.

Blanking on what they’re called, but there’s a type of connector that seems like it would be ideal for this purpose. I’ve used them a few times in guitars where it would otherwise be destructive trying to maintain certain things. I’ll look for them in my workshop so I can find the name of them

Back