Collateral FX Icarus (Modded Klon Centaur)

Looks very clean, reliable and professional.

On my Klon build I added a switch in order to choose between 3 levels of bass frequencies allowed in the signal. Standard, a little bit more, and moderatly more. I always set it at the max bass possible... The switch is a way to make it more usable for me, I never intended to use it exactly how we are supposed to. For me, it's more like a high/mid frequencies booster that i connect before an other and darker gain effect.

Looks very clean, reliable and professional.

On my Klon build I added a switch in order to choose between 3 levels of bass frequencies allowed in the signal. Standard, a little bit more, and moderatly more. I always set it at the max bass possible... The switch is a way to make it more usable for me, I never intended to use it exactly how we are supposed to. For me, it's more like a high/mid frequencies booster that i connect before an other and darker gain effect.
Thanks a lot man! I never felt the need for more bass on it! Do you use it on a band live mix? What is the amp you're playing it through?

I didn't try it in a band, nor playing with friends. When I have the occasion to play with people, it's far from home and we always have cheap, half broken gear. Too sophisticated, too subtle and, in most situations, way too much mids for my guitar playing. I bring something with an EQ, even minimalistic, so I can have some control over mids, at least.

I play with it at home, on a Blues junior 3 (Fender tube amp) and a cheap second hand 50W transistor amp, made in Korea in the 90's (Avenger AX-50RC). I don't use it a lot though, because I have more drives than I need, thanks to the diy community. Timmy v.1, Zen Drive, Precision Drive or Morning Glory would be my weapons of choice for similar uses, I mean boosting an other gain effect. I often use the Klon for comparison, out of curiosity, looking for possibilities.

I always felt the Klon cuts a lot of bass frequencies, even more than other drives like tubescreamers. I could be wrong...

Edit: I've heard of a good combo using a rat into a Klon, and vice-versa. I tried it and really didn't understand how it could be considered a good combo... Maybe I should give it an other try !

Can I ask how do you use your own Klon ?

Last edited:
I didn't try it in a band, nor playing with friends. When I have the occasion to play with people, it's far from home and we always have cheap, half broken gear. Too sophisticated, too subtle and, in most situations, way too much mids for my guitar playing. I bring something with an EQ, even minimalistic, so I can have some control over mids, at least.

I play with it at home, on a Blues junior 3 (Fender tube amp) and a cheap second hand 50W transistor amp, made in Korea in the 90's (Avenger AX-50RC). I don't use it a lot though, because I have more drives than I need, thanks to the diy community. Timmy v.1, Zen Drive, Precision Drive or Morning Glory would be my weapons of choice for similar uses, I mean boosting an other gain effect. I often use the Klon for comparison, out of curiosity, looking for possibilities.

I always felt the Klon cuts a lot of bass frequencies, even more than other drives like tubescreamers. I could be wrong...

Edit: I've heard of a good combo using a rat into a Klon, and vice-versa. I tried it and really didn't understand how it could be considered a good combo... Maybe I should give it an other try !

Can I ask how do you use your own Klon ?
Oh, the blues Jr isn't a specially full on bass frequencies. My most used amp is a VOX AC15C1, I play it on the top boost Chanel, the gain on the Icarus/Klon circa 10h, but I use it to boost the amp already cooking. I am the singer and one of the guitar players in two bands and play gigs professionally on the weekends, so I can tell you, IMHO, at gig volumes the Klon gives you just enough bass frequencies do sit nicely in the mix and doesn't turn your guitar in a mushy bass heavy mess so your bass player doesn't hate you hehe.

@Guilherme Collateral I think you hit the nail on the head regarding playing and needing to lift a track in a band mix vs soloing a pedal. There’s lot of pedals that sound great just sitting and playing but would be totally lost in a mix. And others (like the Klon) that really shine in lifting up a part in a tight mix where there just isn’t a lot of frequency bandwidth to get a guitar part squeezed in. I don’t particularly enjoy playing my Klons but if we’re gigging musician there would always be one on my board.

@Guilherme Collateral I think you hit the nail on the head regarding playing and needing to lift a track in a band mix vs soloing a pedal. There’s lot of pedals that sound great just sitting and playing but would be totally lost in a mix. And others (like the Klon) that really shine in lifting up a part in a tight mix where there just isn’t a lot of frequency bandwidth to get a guitar part squeezed in. I don’t particularly enjoy playing my Klons but if we’re gigging musician there would always be one on my board.
Exactly! It is the very reason I don't like Wampler drive pedals, they sound good at home but all I've tried are VERY bass heavy and get lost in a live mix. The Rat is other very good example of this, lots of people complain about it being thin and fuzzy, but it works brilliantly in a live mix without too much fiddling in the amp eq.

Back