What do people like to use for LED's and bezels?

ryugu

This is last piece of the puzzle for me, and hopefully some of my last noobish questions:

Do people always use 3mm?
Are the prewired ones with a resistor worth using?
What bezels work best with the precut 125b boxes from Tayda?

Thank you.

I like the pedal to tell me what size LED to use. BMP? Probably a 5mm, cause I build them in large enclosures. Fuzz Face? 3mm. I do the same thing with LED colors. I have used quite a few pre-wired rigs…mainly because someone sent me a ton of them. They are convenient, but require some modification to the bezel system. I use whatever bezel I feel looks good. All the pre-drill enclosures I have gotten have had generic holes for the LED. I drill them out as needed (see above)…

Im a big fan of these!
WNBNmop.jpg

I never use predrilled or pre-wired leds. I've only recently embraced the metal bezels and have really enjoyed the "mario warp pipe" style they sell at love my switches which are 5mm. Also every pedelpcb project I can think of has the clr on the main board so it's never necessary to have the resistor prewired.

I don't use ones with their own resistor ever so I can't really speak to that. As far as tayda pre drills, you have the pedalpcb ones and the generic ones. For pedalpcb you have 2 options.
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/3mm-led-lampshade-protector-clear.html
This plus whatever 3mm LED you want or
This exact red LED is tapered and will fit in the hole about halfway up securely, which I do on my builds.

As for the generic predrills 1590bs,
these two have fit for me, with 5mm LED of your choice.

I don't use ones with their own resistor ever so I can't really speak to that. As far as tayda pre drills, you have the pedalpcb ones and the generic ones. For pedalpcb you have 2 options.
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/3mm-led-lampshade-protector-clear.html
This plus whatever 3mm LED you want or
This exact red LED is tapered and will fit in the hole about halfway up securely, which I do on my builds.

As for the generic predrills 1590bs,
these two have fit for me, with 5mm LED of your choice.
I sometime use those too depending on the design, but the insert provided with them is not snug enough so the led tends to drop in.

What bezels will work with the predrilled Tayda enclosures? That's probably where I'll start.
If you are using the Tayda drill template, you'd want to set the diameter of the LED hole to whatever is required by the bezel you choose.

I like the Fresnel lens too. I like big LEDs so usually stick to 5mm.
Sometimes I enjoy the purity of an LED nipple with no bezel, sometimes I like the metal bezels.
I have some 8mm LEDs ready for some custom builds in larger enclosures. Those probably requires larger CLRs.
Hate the black plastic bezels with a passion.

If you are using the Tayda drill template, you'd want to set the diameter of the LED hole to whatever is required by the bezel you choose.

Thanks. I did not use the drill template for my first order, but I definitely try it next time.

Reactions: fig
I really like those. Where can I find them and how do you attach them on the inside?
I use these

As for attaching, usually just use the friction of the hole to hold them in place. If there's too much wiggle, I'll slap a piece of electrical tape on the backside of the LED

I almost always use 5mm LEDs. I tend to use clear LEDs in a variety of colors to match the overall theme of the enclosure... A lot of my LEDs are Chanzon from Amazon, but I've used a little of everything including Soviet made LEDs for a specific build.

I tend to get bezels from Love My Switches: https://lovemyswitches.com/leds/

I mostly use the Chanzon leds. bezels range from LMS and Tayda, to weird obscure NOS finds and a bunch of old radioshack ones I got when they were going under.

Back