Want to add a treble bleed to an SE Hollowbody II guitar

Ctrl4Smilerz

I've been trying to use my Derailer Overdrive as an always on pedal, and rolling the guitar volume back to clean it up, but I find I lose to my treble. After some quick research, I found my main guitar (SE Hollowbody II) does not have a treble bleed circuit. I know I need a resistor and capacitor, but it seems there are differing opinions as to the best values. I think the volume is a 500K Pot, but I haven't checked it yet. What do the PedalPCB's electrical engineers say?

PRS typically use a cap only on their treble bleeds - I think 180pF, but you can check the wiring diagrams on the PRS site.

The easy part is adding the treble bleed. But since you mention you have an HBII, the real challenge is getting the volume pot out to solder the treble bleed. Do your research and watch as many YouTube videos as you can on working with electronics in a Hollowbody guitar - fishing the pots out can be a real challenge! You’re probably going to have to remove a pickup first, to have a cavity through which to access the pot.

So a 180pF with no resistor? I've seen some videos, the best method is to put surgical tubing on the pot, to guide it back after.

Some guitars are easier than others. 335s can be a pain but a Gretsch 6120 is relatively easy.

The reason there isn't much standardisation on values is because it depends on (1) the guitar, (2) the pickups and (3) what you're playing into; ie either amp or pedal, and (4) your taste. Some pedals roll down better than others, same with amps.

I would recommend trying the cap/cap+ resistor before re-installing everything!

Okay after much research I ordered a 220pF orange drop cap (slightly higher than the 180pF PRS standard). I will report back with how the installation goes.

Just looked at the wiring diagram for the Piezo version:

It looks like 50's wiring to me, so unless it's different in the none piezo version, which would seem odd, I'm kind of surprised you're loosing treble, given my recent experience with 50’s wiring in a Les Paul and tele.

I’m interested in this as I’m very tempted to get the Hollow body II SE.
I have an HBII SE - it’s a wonderful guitar, and fills a sonic gap between my core McCarty (blues and lower gain classic rock) and my very modern-sounding core Custom 22. The HBII has the SE version of the 58/15 pups, and are a little darker than the 58/15 pups in my McCarty (great, clear PAF-style). That, combined with a full hollowbody, is definitely going to result in a warm-sounding guitar with not much high end sparkle - exactly what I was looking for!

So I don’t think it’s losing treble… there just isn’t a whole lot to begin with.

Just looked at the wiring diagram for the Piezo version:

I have an HBII SE - it’s a wonderful guitar, and fills a sonic gap between my core McCarty (blues and lower gain classic rock) and my very modern-sounding core Custom 22. The HBII has the SE version of the 58/15 pups, and are a little darker than the 58/15 pups in my McCarty (great, clear PAF-style). That, combined with a full hollowbody, is definitely going to result in a warm-sounding guitar with not much high end sparkle - exactly what I was looking for!

So I don’t think it’s losing treble… there just isn’t a whole lot to begin with.
I too love the SE Hollowbody II and think it sounds great (at full volume) but when I dial back to 5 there is a distinct drop in treble. From what I saw on the PRS forums, a bunch of people have complained on the drop in treble when the volume is rolled back. I ordered a 220 pF so it should be easy enough to remove, if I don't like it. One day I'll splurge on a PLEK treatment, to try get the neck closer to the way my old Core Standard 24 felt.

Back