Biohazard - Ultra Stoner Mk II - Grind Custom Fx

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Hey all,

Here is a stripboard layout I found for Grind Custom Fx "Ultra Stoner Mk II" layout. What enticed me to build this was the DOOM switch and SHAPE control and neither disappointed me once this fired up. I took my time to build this over the past 2 weeks since I've had to wfh for a while while I had some renovations done on my bathroom. The main layout got whipped up in the first week and then I had to go back in to the office, so I spent 20 min a day or so putting it in the enclosure and rewiring the pots to a more suitable length. Yes it's stripboard, so there is some mess with the offboard wiring. Each time I build a layout I'd like to think my wiring is getting better, but who knows....

This is a Muff derivative that can bring out the mids greatly for some nice doom/stoner sounds. Think Boss's FZ-2 to dial in the heavy mids. The DOOM switch throws an additional coupling capacitor from Q3 collector to base, which semi bypasses the clipping stage there. The SHAPE control throws your mids back into the mix and is a simple mod on a BMP tone control. I would highly recommend building this if you're interested in that type of sound and want the additional challenge of stripboard. Or go buy the PCB from them. Or don't. Anyways, per the layout, I have the DOOM capacitor socketed and am leaning toward throwing the 1n value in there to bring out the highs just a touch more. I started middle of the road and have been experimenting on it for a bit.

So, light up some sweet herb if you've got it and jam out to some mid-centric stoner rock/metal. You won't be disappointed.

I have some ideas about the enclosure art, but need to wait for a warmer day to start throwing some primer on it.

1668873912703.png
1668873926053.png
1668873940140.png

It’s my favorite BMP. I think that paint job looks awesome! Did you spray clear on top?

It’s my favorite BMP. I think that paint job looks awesome! Did you spray clear on top?
3, maybe 4 coats of Rustoleum matte clear. It's getting too cold for spraying which is why you can see the crinkling on the edges. Still, I like it.

Very good-looking build, BtR.

Grind Custom FX PCBs have been unavailable for a few years now, I know because I've been waiting for their return.

I've got most if not all the GCFX build docs.

I figured the Ultrastoner can be made from another Muff board, as Dan M has done.

I'd like to see the GCFX Machette (Uglyface w LFO & mods) and the tube-pedal offerings again.

Back