High Voltage Power Supply

Ah, replace the 220K w/ a 250K trimmer!?!? Good idea! Sometimes I'm slow on the uptake. Unfortunately I don't think there's enough real estate on the HV board to insert the Trimmit.

Ah, replace the 220K w/ a 250K trimmer!?!? Good idea! Sometimes I'm slow on the uptake. Unfortunately I don't think there's enough real estate on the HV board to insert the Trimmit.
That's a fair point, I was aiming for small footprint, so it's fairly tightly packed.

Got the parts in to modify the trimmer for the HV board. It appears that the "top" side of the 220K (next to the word DAUGHTER) connects to the 5K trimmer. Correct?
1671738756017.png

I got this HV PSU from musikding. Maybe a dumb question but doesn't the 7806 need a heatsink? doesn't it heat up considerably especially at 350v? Just checking ;)
Cheers
Sono

I got this HV PSU from musikding. Maybe a dumb question but doesn't the 7806 need a heatsink? doesn't it heat up considerably especially at 350v? Just checking ;)
Cheers
Sono
The input for the L7806 comes from the 9-12V input, not from the HV output. It could potentially get warm depending on how many tubes you're using it for as each tube will present a load of close to 300mA, but L7806 is rated for a 1.5A output.

The amount of heat generated can be approximated by (Vin - Vout) * Iout. So on a 9V input powering a single tube's heater we have (9-6) * 300 = 900mW. If you're really abusing it running 4 tubes on a 12V input (not recommended) you're looking at (12-6) * 1200 = 7.2W, and that will get very hot.

The input for the L7806 comes from the 9-12V input, not from the HV output. It could potentially get warm depending on how many tubes you're using it for as each tube will present a load of close to 300mA, but L7806 is rated for a 1.5A output.

The amount of heat generated can be approximated by (Vin - Vout) * Iout. So on a 9V input powering a single tube's heater we have (9-6) * 300 = 900mW. If you're really abusing it running 4 tubes on a 12V input (not recommended) you're looking at (12-6) * 1200 = 7.2W, and that will get very hot.

I'll use max 2 tubes really so it'll be fine. I could always screw it to the enclosure :))))
Thanks Nathan ;)
Cheers
Sono

Replacing the 220K with a 4K7+220K "Teepee" and the 5K trimmer with a 1K makes things MUCH easier to dial in.

Slept a few times since we went thru this. . .in order to make the 250v voltage easier to dial in we sub'd a 4k7 in series with the 220k for R3, but I can't recall if the captioned comment meant that I REPLACED the 5k trim with a 1k . . . I think so. Pls confirm.

IMG_3154.jpg

Do you think this power supply would work in some of rob Robinettes micro amps. I think they make a few watts.

I know you're power amp pedal is similar to a firefly amp which I believe is pretty similar to rob's stuff

Do you think this power supply would work in some of rob Robinettes micro amps. I think they make a few watts.

I know you're power amp pedal is similar to a firefly amp which I believe is pretty similar to rob's stuff
Depends on the amp, but potentially. I have one running a 3W amp right now and it's doing great.

Depends on the amp, but potentially. I have one running a 3W amp right now and it's doing great.
I would love to see the schematic on that 3 watt amp, I would love to build me a small tiny amp and run it from your HV power supply.
I think I mentioned it in a PM I sent you that I would love a tube amp pedal for home practice that I can run from the Bassdude or Nobelium, 1 watt would be great but 3 watts would really rock.
The Hammond 125A TX should easily easily fit inside a 1590BB2 box.
I am really falling for your pedal designs, I have to watch it so I don't become a pain in the ars..... eh ...ear.

Back