Cetus (Kraken) - Maybe the Best PedalPCB High Gain Distortion?

Dirty_Boogie

I present to you... The Krakhead - the Kraken V1 high gain preamp pedal. Built it earlier this week, but finally got round to doing the enclosure and wrapping things up today. This is a killer pedal! Such a usable range of gain - from classic metal, to scooped high gain distortion. Great with a TS before it, or any decent OD after it. Initially had quite a lot of high frequency whine from the charge pump, especially when combined with certain other pedals on my board, but I splurged and finally bought a Truetone CS12 1-Spot Pro isolated power supply - what a difference from the cheap power bricks I've been using up to now. Anyway, I highly recommend this build. And for your viewing pleasure...

IMG_5216.jpg
IMG_5213.jpg IMG_5219.jpg
IMG_5215.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!
been real keen to try this one out.

how do you think this compares to a Tyrian Distortion? (revv G3) - i was quite impressed with that circuit (when run through FX return of EL34 amp)

Looks great!
been real keen to try this one out.

how do you think this compares to a Tyrian Distortion? (revv G3) - i was quite impressed with that circuit (when run through FX return of EL34 amp)
Thanks!

I had the G4 for some time. I liked it - definitely very modern-sounding high gain. It sounded terrific in the effects loop, but terrible in front of the amp. I think the Kraken is more versatile, and works great into the front of the amp. I figured if it sounded even half as good as the Victory Kraken amp, it would be a keeper.

Quick follow-up to this post... Still loving the Cetus/Kraken, but find the noise floor is a bit higher than I was hoping for (yes, somewhat to be expected with a high gain pedal). Anyone else build one, and how do you find the noise level? Anyone have the original to compare it to?

In this video, I have a noise gate before the pedal, so you're not hearing any hum or other noise from the guitar - just the Cetus (powered by a high-end isolated power supply) into a Quilter solid state pedal amp:

Quick follow-up to this post... Still loving the Cetus/Kraken, but find the noise floor is a bit higher than I was hoping for (yes, somewhat to be expected with a high gain pedal). Anyone else build one, and how do you find the noise level? Anyone have the original to compare it to?

In this video, I have a noise gate before the pedal, so you're not hearing any hum or other noise from the guitar - just the Cetus (powered by a high-end isolated power supply) into a Quilter solid state pedal amp:
honestly, that doesn't seem to be much more of a noise floor than any other high gain distortion ive ever used. i'd say that's normal.

also, bro, that was a tease. not even one chug or a powerchord :(

Back