Madbean Tonevirus, Wavelord, Rough Cut, Laureate, Slow Lorris, Violenzz

Hirti

I wanted to post some build reports for a while now but was too lazy to do so. But now that Fig has started a build of the year contest I think it's time to finally post them. So you can expect some build report spam from me in the next couple of days. 😁 So here are all the builds from Madbean that I finished this year in a single build report. All of these except for the Laureate have a Tayda UV print.

Slow Lorris
First of all is the Slow Lorris which is a RAT with a Ruetz mod and three clipping options. Asymmetrical clipping, gain at 1 o'clock, tone and sweep at 12 o'clock is THE distortion sound I've been chasing my whole guitar playing career. Immediately went on my pedal board. Not my cleanest wiring ever. I wanted to include the INCANDENZA BYPASS pcb from Effects Layout to this pedal but the pcb was too large. Got pretty annoyed after that and just rushed to finish it. Maybe I'll open it again and make it cleaner.

rat (1).jpg rat (2).jpg

Wavelord
I was never really interested in a tremolo pedal so I thought if I build one I want one that does it all. This definitely delivers. 16 different wave forms and tap tempo. Now that this is on my pedal board I am using it quite a lot more than I thought I would. The tap tempo feature is also pretty nice. The pcb for this one has been finished over a year ago. Everything worked perfectly except for the tap tempo and I just couldn't figure out why the tap doesn't work. Eventually I found out that the TAPLFO3 chip that I bought had an error. Bought a new one and now it works just fine. :D I like this one so much that I am now thinking about switching my Strymon BlueSky to a Flint.

wavelord (3).jpg wavelord (2).jpg

Laureate
Next is the Laureate, which is a Nobels ODR-1 with a bass pot. Definitely understand why it's a common mod to include a control to roll of some bass. It's pretty boomy when the gain is turned up. Was really hyped for this because a lot of people like this one. Personally I was quite disappointed when I plugged it in. Even with the gain turned all the way up it's a bit too low gain for my taste.
While building this one my name came up on the King Of Tone waiting list and I ordered it. I was also pretty disappointed from that one. So I guess I am just not a low gain drive kind of a guy.

nobels (2).jpg nobels (1).jpg

Tonevirus
I already did a build report for that one over at the Madbean forum earlier this year. It's a clone of the EQD Data Corrupter. Really fun pedal. Obviously nothing that will have a permanent spot on my pedal board but it's a fun pedal to use once in a while to make some weird noise. It's my girlfriends least favorite pedal I have ever built. She rolls her eyes every time I plug it in. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tonevirus (2).jpg tonevirus (1).jpg

Rough Cut
Clone of the Diamond Compressor. Definitely does the sustain for days kind of thing. On this one I am not sure if it works 100% like it should. All of the controls work like I would expect them to but when I turn the comp control up high I get this weird "pumping" sound. Kinda sounds like a slow tremolo. Maybe I need to try a different vactrol or maybe this is just how it sounds. Don't know.

roughcut (1).jpg roughcut (2).jpg

Violenzz
It's a clone of the Eric Johnson Fuzz Face with an additional knob to roll of some bass. I used a BC183LS (hfe 285) in Q1 and a BC183LC (hfe 630) in Q2. This is probably my favorite silicon Fuzz Face variant that I have ever built. I built a couple of Twin Faces for some people a few years ago. I still have a pcb for another one and I think I will build the EJ variant into the Twin Face that I'll keep for myself. A couple of years ago I was a huge fan of building 1590A pedals but now I am mostly annoyed by the small size of the enclosure. I was swearing a lot putting this one into the enclosure. :ROFLMAO: Here I used some black Daier knobs. Always wanted to use them but they are unavailable in Europe (as far as I know). Really happy that Tayda now stocks them. :)

violenzz (4).jpg violenzz (2).jpg

Oh and I think it was @MichaelW that mentioned that the new metallic enclosures from Tayda chip really easily. Also had that happen to me on this one - you can see it when you zoom in into the led. I think I will use their drilling service in the future if I use one of these enclosures.

Last edited:
I agree that tone virus is freaking killer dude! Love them all a demo would be cool if all of them! Especially that tone virus 😉

Back