Finale Overdrive (Fulltone Hi-Mu)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Buttoned this one up last night but didn't have a chance to actually play it until this morning.

I couldn't find a lot of info on this drive and the few demo's I've seen on Youtube were all pretty crappy in terms of showcasing what this pedal can do.
They all sounded kind of dark to me.

So imagine my surprise when I fired it up and heard a really bright high gain pedal on hum buckers.
I've only played it a bit before work with my PRS Starla with hum buckers.

This is another Mosfet gain stage driven distortion pedal but it's definitely got its own thing going on. Tons of gain on tap but it also sounds good with the gain knob down around 9 o'clock. (Curiously called "Sustain")

The Fulltone marketing hype machine talks about matched JFETS blah blah blah. I just pulled 4 random MMBFJ201's and soldered them on. It sounds good!

There's no schematic yet so I'm not sure how everything works but there's a lot of tonal variety. There's a toggle switch that shelves the bass response, so it's useful for setting it up for brighter to darker guitar/amp combos, single coils or HB's. The "EQ" knob sounds like an active eq and is very effective with a wide range of cut/boost. You can go from big round tones to ice pick in your ears from one end of the sweep to the other. Combined with the bass toggle there's a lot of eq range on this pedal.

(*Note that the toggle switch requires a "Type II" toggle. I'd never heard of one before, but after chatting with @Robert I snagged a couple from LMS.)

Otherwise, very straightforward quick build. Low component count and it all came together really quickly as an "after dinner build". I had the enclosure drilled and painted for about a week now. Actually, I painted the enclosure a couple of times, experimenting with different spray techniques to try to get an even "hammered finish" pattern. I really like this pewter colored finish. Somehow black chicken head knobs seemed appropriate for this color scheme.

Very cool drive, falling into my collection of FET based drives as another flavor.

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

My wife and grandson watch The Flash series together. TV is not my bag, but the opening starts with "My name is Barry Allen, and I'm the fastest man alive". I shake my head as I'm walking by and say "You haven't met Michael Wong".

Always a joy sir! 👍

My wife and grandson watch The Flash series together. TV is not my bag, but the opening starts with "My name is Barry Allen, and I'm the fastest man alive". I shake my head as I'm walking by and say "You haven't met Michael Wong".

Always a joy sir! 👍
He might be making new friends…you know…in jail and what not.

JFET*

It's a mu amp based drive. If you like this, you might also consider the Catalinbread DLS and SFT, or the Vertex SSS (latter with some modification of the tonestack, as it's rather dark across most of the sweep otherwise).

Always a joy sir! 👍

Thanks Fig, that made me grin like a chesire cat. I needed that.

cheshirecat.gif

He might be making new friends…you know…in jail and what not.
@MichaelW's in jail? No wonder he has so much build time, between jaunts out in the "yard".

Thanks! I just figured it out. For some reason I didn’t look at the build docs other than to sort out the parts I needed but didn’t see where they went.

Yah I pulled all the parts from the build docs when was wondering why I had an extra 100kr. Had to double check against the build docs to figure out it went in that sharpied out spot, heh.

Back