Electronics and eyesight

gmsmj

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered. I had an eye injury a few years ago -- detached retina and a cataract (I was only 41 at the time!) -- and I'm really nearsighted. With the cataract surgery I have one eye that's close to normal now, and the other is still really nearsighted. I wear contacts for normal vision, and I've had to use reading glasses for reading and close up stuff . When I've put pedals together in the past, I have been able to use a magnifying glass and light with no problem, but as I've gotten older it's getting harder to see the small stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations for aids or strategies to help with seeing the components I'm soldering?

Thanks!

Matt

My vision is still too good for glasses but has gotten worse over the past 5 years - just for context.

I know you said you use reading glasses to read but if you haven’t looked into the really strong ones they’ve been great for me. I have a handful of high power reading glasses on my bench from 4x to 8x. I use 4x for most general assembly and soldering and 8x when working with SMD. I prefer them to the visor styles just because my hair is a mess right now and the head bands can be annoying.

I’ve never seen anything higher than 3x at drugstores so I had no idea they went this strong until reading a similar forum thread.

And cosigning everyone saying lots of light. Cooler color temperature the better.

I use a jewellers loupe. I got it from a friend years ago to look at the tri-combs on cannabis I tried growing. I hold it against my cheek, and bring the component towards my eye. Unlike a magnifying glass, where its held away from you.
I work under an average desk lamp. Then use my phone flashlight for the moments I use the loupe to identify small part codes.
But using the loupe, and soldering at the same time isn't safe. Obviously.
Taking photos and enlarging them works well too.
The Magnifying Glass/Lamp combo looks ideal for actively soldering. Good luck.

Back