DEMO The day the Bean brought the funk (MadBean Kraken and Flunkee)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Here's some pics. I'll give a write up and demo after dinner. But, I will say I love both of these circuits

Edit -
So I really wasn't expecting to like the MuTron Micro V (kraken) based solely on video demos I'd seen. Seemed too subdued for my tastes. Glad I was wrong- this things awesome, and fairly unique as far as the filters I've recently built.
They're both mostly stock with the only parts substitutions are R4 and C6- I lowered R4 to 270r and raised C6 to 2n2. I was having issues with the circuits distorting and oscillating with higher range and attack settings, and these two swaps quelled that without sacrificing any of the tones this box is known for.
The only other swaps are I used Bat46 in the pink knobs and Bat41 in the black knob. I played with those to make the circuit a bit more sensitive to dynamics. Of the two, I prefer the 41s.
LM358 in place of the 1458.
And, I also lowered the resistor attached to the Attack pot a smidge, but it doesn't seem terribly noticable.
This box is a ton of fun, though, and I dig the weirdness you can get with the pots at their extremes.

Now, the Flunkee. This is basically identical to PedalPCBs Waddle Box- the only difference being the ability to swap the output of the OTA to the second stage for LPF action. Of the simpler two knobbers, this one's still my favorite, with the LPF mode being the bee's knees. It's funky with just a tinge of synthy bite to it, and it works well with a ton of input signals.
I did tinker with this one quite a bit more, but wanted it to still be an FX25, so....
Swapped out R5- 4k7 to 3k3 for a bit more sensitivity
R19 got changed from 1k to 2k2 to help take the massive volume of the LPF mode
C1 increased to 33n to allow a bit more signal in
C2 increased from 1n to 10n to allow more lows into the envelope detector
C5 reduced from 22u to 10u and placed in parallel with a 270k resistor for snappier decay times
LM358 in place of the 1458 for the envelope detector. Wasn't fond of the ripples and distortion the 1458 was giving
Range increased from 100kb to 500ka for more squonk while avoiding oscillation and distortion.
Sensitivity reduced to 25kb to really focus on the usable portion of the stock 100k

received_849972259591064.jpeg received_1291917928050888.jpeg received_5947004718728673.jpeg received_2227493307419181.jpeg

Here's a longer demo with all three in various combinations using the nifty EHX Switchblade Pro. Used my baritone Meteora tuned to Drop A. Alumitone in the bridge, lipstick in the neck, but most of this is with the selector in the middle position

Last edited:
last time I seen that much fun quack and music was the daffy/donald scene in Roger rabbit
Already had a flunk, guess I might try something similar on a kraken down the road.. marvelous work!

last time I seen that much fun quack and music was the daffy/donald scene in Roger rabbit
Already had a flunk, guess I might try something similar on a kraken down the road.. marvelous work!
The Kraken is pretty rad, I recommend it. It's a little smoother than the Flunkee and other similar envelope filters, but still has plenty of squonk, and it's easy to dial in

Back