Danube Fuzz (Skreddy P19)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I ordered the Skreddy boards based on the strong recommendation of so many people on this forum that have been part of my "fuzz-ducation".

For someone that never used a fuzz pedal a year ago to now having built.....I dunno, lost track of how many different fuzzes I've built of all flavors.

I find myself gravitating to the Si fuzzes in terms of actually using them in a track, although I love to make noise with my Ge fuzzes.

The Danube does not disappoint! This might actually be my favorite Si fuzz that I've built so far. But in order to verify that I'm gonna have to pull out all the other ones to do a bit of a shootout.

As I understand it Marc "Skreddy" Alhfs is the ultimate fuzz historian and subject matter expert and particularly those associated with David Gilmour.
The Danube definitely nails the sounds from "The Wall" more than any other I've heard yet.
I've tried it out with my humbucker guitars first but man, with single coils it KILLS. With my red Strat it's right in there with the Gilmour-esque sounds.
With my LP Special it sounds like early Fripp.

I wanted to build this pedal as close to spec as possible. Had a hard time tracking down some BC550 "C" variant, but I finally found some on Amazon from Chanzon.
They took a while to show up from China but they were finally delivered yesterday. I pulled 4 out and measuring them was disappointed to find them right at the low end of the "C" gain range. All 4 that I used were in the upper 400's. I probably could have just used the 550 "B"s that I already had.

Having said that, it sounds awesome. The mid hump is pretty useful as is the tone control. Wide range of tones.
This is definitely a "smooth" sounding fuzz bordering on a high gain distortion. It doesn't get very gatey or sputtery.

I also have the Fuzz Aldrin board and kicking around whether to build it stock or with one of @Chuck D. Bones mods.

This build went super fast. I think it I finished it in about an hour. The layout fell like all the components were set up like bowling pins and knocking them down row by row made it so easy and smooth.

Highly recommended this build!

IMG_4115.JPG

IMG_4114.JPG

Back