General Tso

Alan W

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I didn't use a board compressor until about 3 years ago. I had used one that's built into my bass amp, and had used some software compressors in post, but my guitar playing relies a lot on dynamics, and I like to maintain the loud/quiet part of it; an advantage of just making my own noise, for myself. But, I decided it was worth looking into, and after researching what was out there, decided on the newer Empress compressor. It has oodles of adjustability, great metering, and a blend control (why did this take so may decades to think up?). Unfortunately, to me, it also adds a glaze of "solid state" plasticness that I couldn't abide by. It is fairly quiet too, but I really don't like that glaze (that almost every overdrive I try has also). So, before flipping it, I got a Unit67 to try out. Flipped the Empress. The 67 is a lovely, lovely pedal, that does many things well. The compression is fine, and the mid-centric tone adjustment is fantastic. This made the next choice a bit more expensive. The Effectrode Leveling Amp, LA-1A, is an absolute masterpiece. It is DEAD quiet—it uses both sides of 2 12AU7s (so 4 paralleled triodes, for low noise—I mean, this is crazy in a guitar effect. I had done something similar in a low output phono preamp many years ago, but...)

So, between the Unit67 and the LA-1A, the last thing I needed was another compressor. But the word on this was powerful, and boy, am I glad I built it. This is another build that has the way too big RN60 resistors in some places, and I had decided to put in some 20 turn trim pots for the 1K5 LDR LED resistors, so I could do some tuning if needed. (And, since I used some of the KE10720 LDRs that I had left over from phaser builds, it was needed.) No other mods or subs, but between the larger resistors and the trim pots, I had to do some creative parts placement.

This is close to as quiet as the LA-1A, although it does not (at least at my current trim level) have nearly the compression range that that monster does. (On the other hand, I rarely go beyond 9:00 on the Peak Reduction knob.) It is, however, even more transparent—it's truly one of the few almost completely transparent pedals I've ever played through. Not to say that you can't affect the sound, or that the treble control doesn't do it's very effective, without getting strident, boost or cut of upper frequencies. There is a near glorious thickening of the signal with some light sustain. If I put the Balance up full on, with the Sustain and Treble at ~10:30 it replicates the Unit67 (at my knobs-stuck-at-settings) too close for me to say which is which. So, I am a very happy camper! I need to play a bit with where on my board this goes. Currently I have it in the middle of my boosts; the LA-1A is at the start of the chain. (The Unit67 is off my board, but on the shelf and I need to spend some more time with it on other settings to relearn when I may want to pull it back in.)

The box design is set except for possibly changing the font and I think the howling wolf will move to a side wall. It's basically my attempt at an homage to the Thorpy design.

I can't recommend this build enough!

IMG_0882.jpeg IMG_0883.jpeg IMG_0884.jpeg taken 2022-12-27 at 9.27.09 AM.jpg

Great build and write up. I built one of these not terribly long ago and I still can’t believe how good it is. Really a must try for anyone.

Thanks for the mini-reviews of the Unit67 and LA-1A, I've been curious about both. And since I've already built the Gen Tso, I don't feel like I'm missing out on them much lol.

Are you using shielded wire to connect your jacks in/out? Assuming this is for noise reduction, do you notice a difference in using it vs without?

Thanks for the mini-reviews of the Unit67 and LA-1A, I've been curious about both. And since I've already built the Gen Tso, I don't feel like I'm missing out on them much lol.

Are you using shielded wire to connect your jacks in/out? Assuming this is for noise reduction, do you notice a difference in using it vs without?
I've sort of done this as a habit, and the method I use to make it is fast (I used to hate working with braid shield coax in short lengths, and wanted to use a higher grade solid core wire in it (again, this is not from a pedal making necessity, more a hi-fi mania)) so I haven't built a pedal with any longer signal runs without doing it. I know that all my pedals are really quiet (with the exception of older LFO parts, which have a vocal range of their own); no ticking, etc. So I think on builds with possibilities of ticking, from some on board oscillator, shielded wire would be worth experimenting with. (I'm happy to share my technique for making the custom shielded wires.)

I should definitely give myself a week or so more with it before I would put it as their peer, but to my first impression, it is. At least to an extent. I've seen demos with the LA-1A where people are getting fabulous sound out of really extreme, to me, settings. It gives you complete attack and knee control, which are, largely like in the Unit67, pre-configured into the Tso. Again, just like the Unit67, the one choice that is there (in terms of attack/release/knee) is very tasty, at least for guitar. And all three do have a "pre-amp" sound to them; the LA-1A is the most colored, but also that coloration is like a soft pillow of harmonics—give me more! I want to say. Like I mentioned in the report, I was able to easily duplicate my favorite sound of the Unit67, the main reason it stayed on the board since getting it, was how nice it sounded, almost amazingly with every guitar or bass I threw at it, feeding into my Back/Brown face amp.

Great looking pedal. That’s a lot of words though. 😜
The obvious joke here is that the write up could use compression! Har har!

Joking aside, I do in fact appreciate the write up and comparison to LA-1A and Unit67. I built a couple Delegate Compressors and were impressed by those. I hear nothing but rave reviews for this one so I have to try it!

I'm happy to share my technique for making the custom shielded wires.
I'd love to know! I couldn't tell from the pics that they were custom. Shielded cable in general is a pain to deal with, but if you have some tricks, all the better. I have a few pedals that are noisier than I'd like and maybe this will help.

I'd love to know! I couldn't tell from the pics that they were custom. Shielded cable in general is a pain to deal with, but if you have some tricks, all the better. I have a few pedals that are noisier than I'd like and maybe this will help.
I’ll take some photos to illustrate it. You’ll need wire, desoldering braid, something like a skinny knitting needle, and heat shrink. I should have a pedal that needs this in the next few days, so I’ll post when that’s done. It may make sense to post it in the tools section…

Back