Blueshift

Guardians of the analog

1000010902.jpg
Yeah, I know...I can hear the collective moan as eyes roll in the back of their heads, Chris is posting another build reports of a stupid pedal that no one cares about with another stupid marvel character and a long boring write up. Happy New Year everyone šŸ˜‚.

This is my second blueshift build. I took what I learned from the last one I did nearly 3 years ago and tried to do it it better. I put more time and effort into getting this one cleaner and with better attention to detail. If you are going to build this then take your time, check every part before soldering and please follow the build doc. I would not want to have to troubleshoot this. I didn't do my standard all white wiring because there are way to many wires for that here. I tried to keep everything as clean with regards to the wiring as possible. By color coding everything the way I did, I made it easier for future Chris should he need to replace the footswitch or make repairs in the future.

It's not the cheapest build. It's probably gonna be around 100 bucks to build. Still cheaper than a used unit. It's also a fully stereo analog chorus, which is really rare in diy. The stereo spread in this is something special. What makes this different from other analog chorus pedals? The build doc breaks it down great. "The DC-2 is different from other choruses in that there are actually two clock+BBD pairs, each powered by either the inverted or non-inverted output of a single LFO. These BBDs then modulate the dry signal so that signal ā€œAā€ reaches its maximum delay time when signal ā€œBā€ reaches its minimum and vice versa as they criss-cross back and forth. The average remains constant between the two signals and only the space between the two signals is modulated. The DC-2ā€™s effect is often referred to as motionless because it doesnā€™t have the signature ā€œwarbleā€ or unsteadiness of a traditional chorus with a single BBD."

Unlike the original that had just 4 radio buttons, using 3 switches, we now have 7 possible presets instead of 4. How's it sound? AMAZING! It's the often described as the chorus for people who don't like chorus. It's hard to describe it without being cliche. You really have to be in front of it to appreciate how great it sounds, especially in stereo. If you like stereo chorus then you should definitely build this. With only 7 sounds possible, none of the sounds are bad, just less or more of a great thing. Calibration is easy with a scope or just by setting the voltage of the test points for each BBD to 3.4v.

You may notice I don't have the mounting screw on the front. I went a different route to free up the enclosure face for my graphics. Instead of the screw thru the face, I used a jb weld stick to attach the hex standoff to the enclosure. I didn't get a picture because after it cured I didn't take it apart and decided to start wiring everything. I really wanted a light violet color box but tayda has been out of that color for a long time and I went with violet. For the graphics I went with America Chavez, the dimension hopping hero who punches star shaped portals. If you're still here then I hope you enjoyed the write up and pictures. It's a great project for many reasons and a really inspiring effect.
Rr6GdGO.jpg
iYfBtsw.jpg
o3RLjzF.jpeg
c0lMkz1.jpeg

Last edited:
Fantastic build! The mounting screw being internal is a stroke of genius. I remember the first build report you did I was like ā€œfuuuuuuuck, thatā€™s a big boy project, but if TWS can do it then CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!ā€. That and the fact that you described it as the ā€œchorus for those who donā€™t like chorusā€ really piqued my curiosity (I have since changed my tune on chorus in general). Yours will always stand above either way because of your stellar aesthetics.

Any tips on components? Or anything odd about the build? This pedal is up next for me.
I know low profile electrolytic caps can be harder to find right now but don't try and cram full sized one in there. Really, just take your time and be methodical about making sure the right value components are in the right spots. If you follow the build doc you should be just fine. Make sure you plan out each step of the build and stick to it. This is the kind of build where all the details matter.

I missed this report. Brilliant result. Iā€™ve had this PCB starting at me for over half a year and Iā€™m still not game to pony up for the components.

Thereā€™s a lot of hard work and patience in there, but you make it look flawlessly easy.
I was telling someone recently that no build is hard, it's more about how much effort and attention to detail will a person put into not making it good. I want every build to be the best work I've ever done. If I melt a wire jacket or burn a cap you would never know because I wouldn't settle for that and would fix it right away. It still happens but it doesn't happen often. I think the key word you said is patience and most of the world has lost that concept. There were a couple times in this particular build that I wanted to start over from scratch and am still not 100% happy with my wiring but this is 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag so I had to be Elsa and let it go at a certain point.

Back