A Different Sort of Build Report... Electronics Storage and Work Space???

Fingolfen

Unless you only buy enough components to build one project at a time, building effects pedals eventually leads to collecting a large number of active, passive, and other components. Keeping all of these small parts organized in some meaningful way is, at best, a challenge. I use multi-drawer organizers for diodes, transistors, and ICs, but unfortunately I never had a great place to hang those organizers. They therefore tended to sit on the floor along with the bins for my resistors and capacitors. Given I have multiple hobbies, desk space is at a premium, and since I have also some larger electronics projects I want to work on, I needed something to give me additional work space and storage space for all of my bits. I settled on some sort of cart, and immediately went shopping. Unfortunately the closest thing I could find was a cart at Ikea which, like just about every useful piece of furniture there, was out of stock. I therefore figured since I'm already working on some insane woodworking projects with a friend, I may as well add a bespoke electronics cart to the list.

The Cart - 38.jpg

I had a few goals with this project. First, I wanted to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. My gaming table project has been running on 2+ years at this point, and though that project is in the home stretch, I really needed the cart to be done in weeks, not months. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money on wood, which if you've priced wood lately is a challenge in of itself! I ended up picking up a nice piece of birch veneer plywood at the local lumber and hardware store for about $80 - which is about twice what it would have been pre-COVID. Yikes! With the generous donation of some scrap wood from my friend (wood he rescued from a burn pile... which turned out to be red and white oak...) we managed to get the cart together.

The three shelves are all birch plywood with red or white oak edging. The middle shelf is flipped relative to the top and bottom shelves to provide a lip for the plastic storage bins. All of the edges have been rounded over with a roll-over bit on the router table. Each shelf was notched with a router and the legs were screwed into the shelves. The screws were all recessed and a facing wood plug was added (which I carved back with a chisel and then sanded). The entire shebang is finished with Danish oil as it is easy, cheap, and I really didn't have the time or inclination to do a full varnish finish... on a cart...

The Cart - 41.jpg

Now I have not only a place to hold all of the parts to build my pedals, but an additional work surface, and the whole thing ended up costing $80 in wood, $10 in finishing supplies and screws. The casters were from a piece of Ikea furniture we repurposed. Of course, I'm not counting the 15-20 hours of work that actually went into the build...

If you want the full gory details of the build (of which there are many) you can see them on the blog:

Part 1 and Part 2

That came out great! :love:
You just had to leave a drawer out, didn’t you? 😰
Heh... I was still finishing up reorganizing the bins... they were all missing one or two. Finally finished moving the ICs last night. I still have a few more diodes to organize... wheeeeeee...

Reactions: fig
I will never reach that level of organization. And I will never show my wife that picture, as I don't want her to know that being organized is possible :p

Looks fabulous, nicely done!
always makes me chuckle every birthday/Christmas I always get some sort of organization helping item. It’s a subtle hint. This year was a cable organizer. I just chuckle and add em to the pile :)

I have boxes.... I wish it was half as glamorous as it sounds, but it's not.

They are boxes filled with big pink Tayda bags full of all sorts of random bits. Some are leftovers from prototypes, some are prototypes that didn't get prototyped... some are those extra odds and ends that I throw into each order "just because" ...

Some of them are labeled, some of them are not. Some of the labels mean something, others have absolutely no relevance whatsoever. A project name on a bag just means at one time that bag contained some parts for that PCB, and for whatever reason I wanted to be able to locate that particular bag. It doesn't mean those parts are still in that bag.... no, it doesn't mean that at all. A BOM folded up in a bag is usually a good sign... I'm not sure what it's a good sign of, but I have to believe it means something. Someone had an intention when they put that BOM in that bag...

There is a system.... I just haven't figured it out yet. 🤣

Is there supposed to be a system? I just put all my parts in bins and said the top row is resistors and diodes, the middle row are caps, (here’s where I got lazy) and the last row is everything else I have 10 percent success rate when randomly choosing a bag looking for a specific part 🤣

I've had bins on my bench for 10+ years and have only recently started using them because I couldn't commit to what each one was going to actually contain.... and didn't want to get trigger happy just putting things in random places.

If I start filling them up I'll eventually run out of space, then what?

So rather than devise a "less than perfect" organizational system, I opted to just throw things in boxes. Because you know, that makes more sense.

I have boxes.... I wish it was half as glamorous as it sounds, but it's not.

They are boxes filled with big pink Tayda bags full of all sorts of random bits. Some are leftovers from prototypes, some are prototypes that didn't get prototyped... some are those extra odds and ends that I throw into each order "just because" ...

Some of them are labeled, some of them are not. Some of the labels mean something, others have absolutely no relevance whatsoever. A project name on a bag just means at one time that bag contained some parts for that PCB, and for whatever reason I wanted to be able to locate that particular bag. It doesn't mean those parts are still in that bag.... no, it doesn't mean that at all. A BOM folded up in a bag is usually a good sign... I'm not sure what it's a good sign of, but I have to believe it means something. Someone had an intention when they put that BOM in that bag...

This is almost exactly how I used to roll before a few cheap Harbor Freight storage drawer thingies made things look tidier. Of course, the drawers are just crammed full of Tayda baggies…

Last edited:
It made much more sense to me when I had like 4000 parts on the table (mostly resistors 🤣) I honestly couldn’t come up with a system for them if I tried the problem is I run out of room like you said. So what I have now just works for me. Plus I set up every individual build so looking for parts while soldering isn’t a problem.

This is almost exactly how I used to roll before a few cheap Harbor Freight storage drawer thingies made things look tidier. Of course, the drawers and just crammed full of Tayda baggies…
Harbor freights bins are the best aren’t they? I was thinking about getting those drawers too.

I love that cart. Furniture meets workbench and storage. I have a ragtag collection of Harbor Frieght and Home Depot boxes as well as shoeboxes with parts envelopes. The key for me was using either a P-Touch labeler or buying Avery labels and printing them. The CIA couldn’t decipher my handwriting and I never have to wonder where the devil I put stuff.

I have a drawer that I keep most of the stuff in. In that drawer I have a box from my photographic printing days - it original held a stack of 8x10 glossy Ilford paper. I made a cardboard divider to split it into two rows and I keep all my 1/4W resistors in there, in order of size. The first row starts at 10R and goes to 91K. The second row is shorter and goes from 100K to 10M. In the little space left I have little bags of grey box caps.

I have another box with all my electrolytics, a big bag of red box caps, with the different values each in their own bag. Then there are boxes - one for transistors, one for misc, big bags for solid shaft pots with solder lugs, a separate bag for solid shaft pots with PCB lugs.... The most organised part is the resistor box. It just goes downhill after that.

Back