first pedal build: cleaver boost

dksucharda

Happy new year! This is my first post on this forum and I am preparing to build my first pedal. I just ordered a solder station and a small project (build a small FM radio) to practice my soldering skills as well as familiarize myself with the components and develop some kind of work flow.

I have looked at a lot of pedals and think I want to try and build the Cleaver Boost. However, it doesn't like the have the build sheet available yet. So my other options I am looking at are Aurum drive and Nobleman Overdrive. Any thoughts or recommendations. Is this an appropriate first time pedal to build? I am aware it is recommended to have a easy wiring hook up at the base for a easy foot switch wiring board. My main question is, do I need to order this for every build I do? Or is this build into some of the boards automatically. I know there is supposed to be a way to do this without the "easy board" but I feel I will have all the challenge I need with my first several builds just getting the pedal to do what it is supposed to do. Thank you.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

For a first build, I would avoid:
1. Soldering an FV-1 chip
2. Very crowded boards (until you get used to soldering in tight places). Compare the Hyped Fuzz with its packed board of 1/8th watt resistors compared to the Aurum.
3. Very large circuits with high part count (more difficult to troubleshoot if something doesn’t work). Similar idea, compare the circuit diagram of the Hyped vs Aurum.

If the project comes with a foot switch board, you can see it in the picture in the store (look at the pro-10 or Equilux as examples). Most do not. I prefer not using the boards and just wiring it manually.

I haven’t built either the Aurum or Nobleman, but both look fine. The Aurum is a bit more simple, but I wouldn’t be scared of the Nobleman.

I personally found wiring the switch a really awful experience when I started building. The breakout board made it much easier for me. But I think it’s a matter of personal preference, so try it either way and see what you prefer! I also suggest getting a few extra components for your first build in case any mistake happens (like the foot switch gets melted…) and socket any ICs or transistors.

Get yourself a few of those 3pdt breakout boards for bypass.
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/3pdt/

Itll make everything much easier when it comes to off board wiring.
@Dan M is correct on all accounts. Stay away from high parts count builds. The cleaver boost should be a great starting point! I feel like it would be irresponsible of me if i didnt mention to get sockets for your ICs and transistors. They're sensitive to heat and can easily be damaged when soldering. Itll also save you further headaches as you might not be used to all the pinouts they come in. If you havent already you should also get a breadboard and follow one of @BuddytheReow guides here on the forum! He provides a great resource thread in which he does a bit of hand holding to help you understand. Its the route i went with and i immediately knew how to read a schematic which is a skill/resource thatll carry you a VERY long way!

Welcome to the forum cant wait to see your first build!

Last edited:
Get yourself a few of those 3pdt breakout boards for bypass.
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/3pdt/

Itll make everything much easier when it comes to off board wiring.
@Dan M is correct on all accounts. Stay away from high parts count builds. The cleaver boost should be a great starting point! I feel like it would be irresponsible of me if i didnt mention to get sockets for your ICs and transistors. They're sensitive to heat and can easily be damaged when soldering. Itll also save you further headaches as you might not be used to all the pinouts they come in. If you havent already you should also get a breadboard and follow one of @BuddytheReow guides here on the forum! He provides a great resource thread in which he does a bit of hand holding to help you understand. Its the route i went with and i immediately knew how to read a schematic which is a skill/resource thatll carry you a VERY long way!

Welcome to the forum cant wait to see your first build!
Thanks for the suggestion. I did order a breadboard yesterday with a bunch of electrical components to wire up different projects. I will definitely check out his tutorial. I am sure I will learn a bunch and will use this as a resource for learning. Thanks.

Once breadboarding finally “clicks” you’ll realize how simple putting a pedal together is on a PCB and can troubleshoot much easier. Regardless if you breadboard or solder up the pedal, take your time and enjoy the process.
Absolutely...

The Cleaver is a relatively simple build, but save yourself the frustration and make sure you get the 2N5458's from a reliable source.

Avoid eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress. You can get genuine components from all three sources, but until you know what you're looking for (and how to determine whether or not you have an authentic/in-spec component) you'll have a much better time by eliminating that variable.

I was going to chime in with some warnings about jfets in the Cleaver--they might complicate things for a first time builder only because sourcing them can be tricky. Robert beat me to it.

Welcome to the forum.

For a first build, I would avoid:
1. Soldering an FV-1 chip
2. Very crowded boards (until you get used to soldering in tight places). Compare the Hyped Fuzz with its packed board of 1/8th watt resistors compared to the Aurum.
3. Very large circuits with high part count (more difficult to troubleshoot if something doesn’t work). Similar idea, compare the circuit diagram of the Hyped vs Aurum.

If the project comes with a foot switch board, you can see it in the picture in the store (look at the pro-10 or Equilux as examples). Most do not. I prefer not using the boards and just wiring it manually.

I haven’t built either the Aurum or Nobleman, but both look fine. The Aurum is a bit more simple, but I wouldn’t be scared of the Nobleman.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time and words or wisdom! as I am doing my homework and preparing for my first build I have 1 more question about the footswitch wiring. in the Wiring diagram that is in the download build information they show how to wire up the foot switch. From other videos I have watched it seems this is how you would wire up the pedal if you DIDN'T use the 3PDT board. Is that correct? Thanks again.

The Cleaver is a relatively simple build, but save yourself the frustration and make sure you get the 2N5458's from a reliable source.

Avoid eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress. You can get genuine components from all three sources, but until you know what you're looking for (and how to determine whether or not you have an authentic/in-spec component) you'll have a much better time by eliminating that variable.
Good to know! Thank you. As of now, I am planning on getting my supplies from Tayda. I Assume this is a trusted source?

Good to know! Thank you. As of now, I am planning on getting my supplies from Tayda. I Assume this is a trusted source?

I've never gotten a bad/fake component from Tayda. Personally I've never had a problem, although some folks have mentioned noise issues with the TL072's.

Tayda doesn't have the 5458 / 5457 though, so yeah, as mentioned above you can get em from here. (or StompBoxParts, or Smallbear, etc)

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time and words or wisdom! as I am doing my homework and preparing for my first build I have 1 more question about the footswitch wiring. in the Wiring diagram that is in the download build information they show how to wire up the foot switch. From other videos I have watched it seems this is how you would wire up the pedal if you DIDN'T use the 3PDT board. Is that correct? Thanks again.
Correct. For example, the picture in the Aurum document is the typical way that pedalpcb shows the footswitch wiring.

Back