A taper vs C taper pots

almondcity

Random question. If I have an A taper pot wired as a variable resistor, wouldn't swapping lugs 1 and 3 create a C taper pot with the knob turning the opposite way? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way

Think of it this way:

If you have an audio taper control where all the “action” is in the last 10-20% of the dial, the reverse audio version will have all the action in the first 10-20%.

So you go from little discernible change from 0-8 on the dial to little discernible change from 2-10 on the dial.

In fact I believe one reason the Timmy's tone controls work in reverse is because Paul Cochran had trouble sourcing C-taper pots. So he used As and made them cut instead of build as you turned them clockwise. (I heard this from a guy who "knows" Paul C)

In fact I believe one reason the Timmy's tone controls work in reverse is because Paul Cochran had trouble sourcing C-taper pots. So he used As and made them cut instead of build as you turned them clockwise. (I heard this from a guy who "knows" Paul C)
I actually like the fact that a control to cut a frequency can be controlled as a cut..

Back