🤘Tyrian Distortion🤘

flemming

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is a fairly high parts count build so I was putting it off despite totally wanting to share the finished product. I wanted to keep the purple from the original and come up with something appropriately metal for the graphics. UV printing and machining was done by @amplifyfun . When I first fired it up in my test rig it was a squealing whistling nightmare on the red/blue channels with the volume or gain even moderately raise. I did some searching and it seemed like this was a pretty common problem both on this forum as well as on reddit and effectslayouts. One suggestion without anyone saying whether or not it worked was to try a shielded input wire. I didn't have any shielded wire laying around so I hacked apart a cheap patch cable that I had. I can't say for certain if it was the shielded wire or if getting it properly mounted in an enclosure with a solid ground connection did the trick, but all of the problems are now gone. I can give it full volume/gain on all channels with no squealing and for what it is this pedal is pretty damn quiet.

PXL_20220731_164159367.jpg PXL_20220731_164342751.jpg

Killer artwork. Never seen a pissed off unicorn, and now I wonder why, cause they look badass.

Is that a shielded cable for the input, and if so, do you remember what kind?

Is that a shielded cable for the input, and if so, do you remember what kind?
It is, without the shielded cable it screeched and whistled like crazy. I didn't have any shielded cable on hand at the time so I just hacked up a cheap pedal patch chord for instant gratification. Since then I've purchased:

Which is a whole lot more reasonably sized for using inside of a pedal. I can cut you off a chunk and mail it to you if you need some since 17ft is the smallest it came in.

Appreciate the offer! I just got something similar from Amazon though. I wasn't sure if the shielding needed to be grounded, or just sitting there covering the inner signal conductor is good enough.

One side should be grounded. Be careful that on the non-grounded side you don't have any tiny pieces of braid exposed that could short on something else.

This is a fairly high parts count build so I was putting it off despite totally wanting to share the finished product. I wanted to keep the purple from the original and come up with something appropriately metal for the graphics. UV printing and machining was done by @amplifyfun . When I first fired it up in my test rig it was a squealing whistling nightmare on the red/blue channels with the volume or gain even moderately raise. I did some searching and it seemed like this was a pretty common problem both on this forum as well as on reddit and effectslayouts. One suggestion without anyone saying whether or not it worked was to try a shielded input wire. I didn't have any shielded wire laying around so I hacked apart a cheap patch cable that I had. I can't say for certain if it was the shielded wire or if getting it properly mounted in an enclosure with a solid ground connection did the trick, but all of the problems are now gone. I can give it full volume/gain on all channels with no squealing and for what it is this pedal is pretty damn quiet.

View attachment 30135View attachment 30134
Brilliant idea to put a connector on the DC jack.

I just unsolder the damn thing every time....

I keep banging my head against the wall because it feels so good when I stop...

Back