How do you install your footswitches ? What to do with the various rings ?

eh là bas ma

silly question but I wonder how you install your 3PDT ?

I mean they come with a plastic ring, a metal ring and a screw.

I always thought the plastic ring could have 2 possible functions : slightly decrease the noise from the 3PDT if located inside the enclosure, or protect the enclosure from scratches coming from the 3PDT screw, if located on the enclosure.

But the metal ring... I wonder what is its purpose ? You can't really put it on the outside, because the screw will twist it, and I can't see what it could acomplish if I put it inside the box.

Please, can you share how do you do it and why ?

Last edited:
By metal ring do you mean the locking washer with the teeth? If so its meant to do exactly that help keep the stomp switch in place. Its not absolutely necessary for it to function. Ive been using them lately because i like the height at which the stompswitch sits. The other metal washer i use on the on the face of the enclosure so i dont mess up the enclosure. The white washer i just leave out it serves no purpose for me and just makes your pedal look ugly IMO.

silly question but I wonder how you install your 3PDT ?

I mean they come with a plastic ring, a metal ring and a screw.

I always thought the plastic ring could have 2 possible functions : slightly decrease the noise from the 3PDT if located inside the enclosure, or protect the enclosure from scratches coming from the 3PDT screw, if located on the enclosure.

But the metal ring... I wonder what is its purpose ? You can't really put it on the outside, because the screw will twist it, and I can't see what it could acomplish if I put it inside the box.

How do you do it and why ?
The star looking metal ring is a lock washer.

ok thanks !

I am sure you are right.

3PDT come with 2 screws. 1 can stay inside, to set the height of the switch, the other, on the outside, locks the switch in place. In my experience if it's tighten enough, it can't turn... it seems really useless.

On the other hand, the plastic ring is most useful to me...

You never heard that it could help to dampen the mechanical noise of the switch ? avoid some resonance or something ? Did I dream all this ?

You never heard that it could help to dampen the mechanical noise of the switch ? avoid some resonance or something ? Did I dream all this ?
I never read anything like that. Looking at how the stomp switch is being pushed in and where the white washer is located i dont think it would have an impact on the mechanical nature of it. But now im not so sure :ROFLMAO:

None of the switches I’ve ordered have ever come with the white washer. The lock washer adds a bit of tension to the nut so that it won’t back off as easily from vibrations and such.

On the outside. I mean im sure there is, i still keep all of mine just in case i need a back up washer and i dont have it. Ive actually used it as a washer for my DC jack. On my Daydream the DC jack without that washer will touch a pot. So i guess they come in useful every once in awhile! 🤷‍♂️

About the plastic ring, also called "white washer", I am guessing there might be some insulating purpose, at least ?

The white washer doesn’t insulate electrically (the metal threads and lock washer will still contact the enclosure, and that causes no issues!

In my opinion the plastic washer would do very little to dampen the sound (regardless where it is installed).

I buy the red ones “Tayda Recommends” that come with 2 nuts, a toothed washer, and a metal flat washer. I tighten one nut all the way down the threads, slide the toothed washer on, insert into enclosure put the metal washer and then the nut on the outside. It would be the same order if I had the plastic washer.

The only advantage i can think of the white washer over the metal washer is it may be kinder to a waterslide decal or fragile paint finish while tightening the nut. Powdercoated enclosures hold up just fine with the metal washer.

Maybe it is supposed to protect the 3pdt ?

I already broke a toggleswitch's neck because I tightened the screw to much. Now I always put something around them inside the enclosure, so the inner washer or screw will take all the tension, not the body of the component.

Last edited:
if you consider the washer as a spring in compression, it still transfers the force to both sides of the “spring”. So force isn’t really absorbed by it.

I think plastic is cheap and that’s why they include it on some models instead of the metal washer.

Back