Simulcast - spot the mistake I just noticed while writing this up...

jhaneyzz

Well, not 100% complete yet but I was taking some other photos and did this one while I was at it.

The drive sounds absolutely superb at all three gain settings.

I was a bit off-put at first by the control choices. I labeled the Gain Trim knob "Gain" which, if you are familiar with the pedal ends up be a bit misleading. the knob very subtly "trims" the gain, as lower gain settings it doesn't really make much of a difference at all. Frankly, I personally could live without this even being on the front of the pedal.

And honestly, the Low Cut control is pretty subtle as well, I happen to play a Reverend guitar which has a "bass contour" pot that achieves exactly the same effect. Again, I could live with this being an internal trim pot.

The lack of any tone control was the most off-putting, not because the "tone" is bad, but that, to my ear there is a spike at about 5-6K that was annoying, Thanks to previous threads on this forum and some helpful additional guidance of several forum members I came to a happy resolution. I soldered some sockets to pins 1 and 2 of the volume pot and tried a bunch of caps. I found that a 560pf cap rolled the high end down just enough for me.

While the above might lead you to believe that I am critical of the pedal. however I am decidedly not, because...

The LEVEL control is a whole other story, at 27 V this thing is a BEAST.... between three levels of gain on the switch and all of the headroom in this thing the range of drive is pretty absurd and there isn't a bad tone in it. While it is my newest drive pedal and we're still in the honeymoon phase of our relationship I'm really damn impressed.

I originally planned for this to be another of my acid etched enclosures the art wasn't dark enough nor bold enough to hold up and it looked like crap but I reallly liked the design. I ended up heat transferring a positive of the design using that traditional transfer paper and iron. (BTW, I've come up with an absolutely KILLER method of getting the absolute maximum transfer from paper to enclosure if you'r interested). After it cooled I applied 3-4 coats of clear gloss spray to it.

Gotta say, i'm not really in love with the look in the end.

Can't wait for the Duocast mini....

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6528.JPG

The mistake is in plain sight when you read my report.
It isn't the bent over electrolytic, but that is bit of a hint.

First guitar I've ever owned with zero buyer's remorse.

I love absolutely everything about this guitar.

errm.... except for the cream pickup covers apparently... But don't those custom covers look sweet???

While I was writing up the build report I was referencing the treble bleed cap I soldered on to the VOLUME pot... in the UPPER LEFT of the photo of the BACK of the pedal.

Only the volume pot is in the top left of the FRONT of the DAMN pedal...

crickets....

I spent an hour tweaking the effect of treble bleed on the GAIN TRIM pot.... (which, oddly enough, does much the same thing)

I soldered a set of sockets on the CORRECT volume pins and used the cap recommended in the ORIGINAL post and got exactly the result I was hoping for...

First guitar I've ever owned with zero buyer's remorse.

I love absolutely everything about this guitar.

errm.... except for the cream pickup covers apparently... But don't those custom covers look sweet???

Nice- ever thought about etching a control plate to match?
It looks like it might be standard telecaster size.

I think etching either the control plate or the knobs (not both) would balance out all that chrome you've got going on there.

That's just my two cents- it looks totally rad as-is.

Well, not 100% complete yet but I was taking some other photos and did this one while I was at it.

The drive sounds absolutely superb at all three gain settings.

I was a bit off-put at first by the control choices. I labeled the Gain Trim knob "Gain" which, if you are familiar with the pedal ends up be a bit misleading. the knob very subtly "trims" the gain, as lower gain settings it doesn't really make much of a difference at all. Frankly, I personally could live without this even being on the front of the pedal.

And honestly, the Low Cut control is pretty subtle as well, I happen to play a Reverend guitar which has a "bass contour" pot that achieves exactly the same effect. Again, I could live with this being an internal trim pot.

The lack of any tone control was the most off-putting, not because the "tone" is bad, but that, to my ear there is a spike at about 5-6K that was annoying, Thanks to previous threads on this forum and some helpful additional guidance of several forum members I came to a happy resolution. I soldered some sockets to pins 1 and 2 of the volume pot and tried a bunch of caps. I found that a 560pf cap rolled the high end down just enough for me.

While the above might lead you to believe that I am critical of the pedal. however I am decidedly not, because...

The LEVEL control is a whole other story, at 27 V this thing is a BEAST.... between three levels of gain on the switch and all of the headroom in this thing the range of drive is pretty absurd and there isn't a bad tone in it. While it is my newest drive pedal and we're still in the honeymoon phase of our relationship I'm really damn impressed.

I originally planned for this to be another of my acid etched enclosures the art wasn't dark enough nor bold enough to hold up and it looked like crap but I reallly liked the design. I ended up heat transferring a positive of the design using that traditional transfer paper and iron. (BTW, I've come up with an absolutely KILLER method of getting the absolute maximum transfer from paper to enclosure if you'r interested). After it cooled I applied 3-4 coats of clear gloss spray to it.

Gotta say, i'm not really in love with the look in the end.

Can't wait for the Duocast mini....

View attachment 40044

View attachment 40045
What's up with that cap on the Gain pot?
Edit: Never mind I read through the thread

I think etching either the control plate or the knobs (not both) would balance out all that chrome you've got going on there.

That's just my two cents- it looks totally rad as-is.
I was literally writing up an entire response based upon the potential waterfall effect of your suggestion but stared at it for a few and talked myself out of it.

My only concern is the screw heads on the control plate might look strange if they are etched too, and NOT etching them would definitely look strange.

I have a Charger 290. I replaced the cream P90 covers with acid etched nickel covers because I seem to acid etch everything...

View attachment 40053
I am a big fan of Reverend. I bought a Club King RT back in 2010 which I have now set up with flat wounds for a nice modern jazz tone. Such a great guitar! I’ve been itching to get one of their baritones for years now…

I was literally writing up an entire response based upon the potential waterfall effect of your suggestion but stared at it for a few and talked myself out of it.

My only concern is the screw heads on the control plate might look strange if they are etched too, and NOT etching them would definitely look strange.
So get this… I sent an email to Reverend to see if I could buy a spare control plate so I could etch it and still have the original equipment and they responded the same day with “just give me your address a we’ll send you one!”

How cool is that!!!

So get this… I sent an email to Reverend to see if I could buy a spare control plate so I could etch it and still have the original equipment and they responded the same day with “just give me your address a we’ll send you one!”

How cool is that!!!
Yeah their customer service is great!

I think it's great that you have ventilated your pedal like that. I too choose to ventilate enclosures from time to time subconsciously because running at 27V gets really hot.

I'm surprised that you find the bass pot subtle. It sure isn't on the many I have built! The gain pot us far from subtle too. I suspect it's probably that the gear you use is different from mine. Often the way pedals work varies dramatically depending on what else is around them. I like to leave out the transformer too - it is so tall I have to use non-standard enclosures of I want to use it and I can't hear the difference anyway.

I see (hear?) the Broadcast as a high quality treble booster. Very cool.

You are probably correct about the gear. Since my initial post ai have tried it with a couple other guitars and there are definitely instance where the Bass pot makes a considerable impact.

But that Gain Trim is still a bit of a mystery to me. It's doing something, but not much, but the gain Switch definitely gets the job done.

Back