Muffin Fuzz Radial Cap question

snowwis

I’m putting together the parts for the muffin fuzz build. The board looks like it’s calling for radial caps in a lot of spots. All I have or can find in those low values are films caps. Will those work? If so, how do I determine the polarity of a Mylar film cap? Thanks in advance for the help.

I've seen muffin builds here subbing film caps for the electrolytics. Film caps are not polarized (unless someone else chimes in and tells me I am wrong) so I think you would be fine to sub them.

I've seen muffin builds here subbing film caps for the electrolytics. Film caps are not polarized (unless someone else chimes in and tells me I am wrong) so I think you would be fine to sub them.

Good deal. Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm that build report looks vaguely familiar.... :p

@snowwis if you look at the build doc for the Muffin you'll see all the different variants you can build off this single board.
The variants all sound a little different and come from different era's of the Big Muff Pi.
If you're not sure where to start (like I was) I'd recommend building the "Triangle". It's what I would consider a "baseline" Big Muff sound and it's probably still my favorite of all the Muffins I've built.

As mentioned the "Green Russian" variant is also very popular as is the "Ram's Head". (Closest variant in the build doc is probably the "Stomp 75 to the Rams Head).

You'll notice the different components in each variant. The board silk screen allows for you to build these different variants, some call for electrolytic caps in the same spot where others call for film. Thus you have the funny looking "multi-purpose" capacitor pads. Can be a bit confusing first. But if you just remember that e-caps need to be oriented by polarity and box or film caps don't, you'll be fine.

Hmmm that build report looks vaguely familiar.... :p

@snowwis if you look at the build doc for the Muffin you'll see all the different variants you can build off this single board.
The variants all sound a little different and come from different era's of the Big Muff Pi.
If you're not sure where to start (like I was) I'd recommend building the "Triangle". It's what I would consider a "baseline" Big Muff sound and it's probably still my favorite of all the Muffins I've built.

As mentioned the "Green Russian" variant is also very popular as is the "Ram's Head". (Closest variant in the build doc is probably the "Stomp 75 to the Rams Head).

You'll notice the different components in each variant. The board silk screen allows for you to build these different variants, some call for electrolytic caps in the same spot where others call for film. Thus you have the funny looking "multi-purpose" capacitor pads. Can be a bit confusing first. But if you just remember that e-caps need to be oriented by polarity and box or film caps don't, you'll be fine.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I'm going to try the civilization version.

Back