Power anomaly

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Threw this reverb together last night, and instead of getting reverb blended in with the mix control, I get a harsh noise. Clean signal passes thru when active, so the op amps are doing their job…
Checked the voltages, and sure enough the Belton brick isn’t receiving enough power. Thought it was the V-reg letting me down, but I checked the voltages there, and it’s only receiving 5.41v at its input. Realized the culprit seems to be R14— I’m getting a 3.77v drop across it, which is a ~40% voltage drop. Double checked the value both visually and in circuit, and it all checks out. Temporarily removed D2, thinking that could be the cause if it was a bad diode or something, but that measured fine when I removed it, and without it there, the drip across r14 is still 3.77v. I know r14 isn’t really necessary and I could remove it, but it seems that would just put a band aid on the problem. Based on the voltage drop, I would expect to measure ~130 Ω h between the +9v net and ground, which would obviously indicate a partial-short somewhere, and would make for a voltage divider that would give the voltages i’m measuring, but it’s measuring as an open circuit (why it’s not reading as ~2MΩ, given r12+13 I’m not sure, but, anyway…)
It’s been way too many years since I took a math or engineering class, so maybe I’m overlooking something simple, but I’m pretty baffled by this. I could jumper r14 to see where that gets me, but even if that fixes it, it won’t be a satisfying fix because I want to understand first how it’s possible to see a 41% voltage drop across a mere 100Ω in this particular circuit.

40090028-11A9-4806-B089-B54CD3446EEC.jpeg

Where does the design come from? A drop of 3.77V across that resistor would indicate that the circuit is drawing just under 40mA. It is only a guess but I would have thought that was not a massive current draw for a pedal.

It is odd that you measure open circuit across the voltage divider. I would definitely check that out more - check the resistance of each leg of the voltage divider. You may have a bad solder joint or a pad/track that has become damaged.

Where does the design come from?
It’s a Belton Brick example circuit drawn by Brian Neunaber (who apparently co-developed the Belton brick for accutronics)
It is odd that you measure open circuit across the voltage divider. I would definitely check that out more - check the resistance of each leg of the voltage divider. You may have a bad solder joint or a pad/track that has become damaged.
Definitely odd, but I checked over things and they all appear to be good, there’s “0”Ω continuity *between* them, as well as to each net point they should connect to. I think the reading may just be the battery in my meter starting to go— the auto ranging started acting up as well when measuring in that range, so as far as I can tell there’s not actually an open circuit with the 2M voltage divider, and a fresh 9v when I have a chance to get one should prove things to be in order there.

It’s a Belton Brick example circuit drawn by Brian Neunaber (who apparently co-developed the Belton brick for accutronics)

Definitely odd, but I checked over things and they all appear to be good, there’s “0”Ω continuity *between* them, as well as to each net point they should connect to. I think the reading may just be the battery in my meter starting to go— the auto ranging started acting up as well when measuring in that range, so as far as I can tell there’s not actually an open circuit with the 2M voltage divider, and a fresh 9v when I have a chance to get one should prove things to be in order there.
Did you ever figure out the problem? Same happened to be on a Levitation build

Actually, I think I figured out the problem on my end. For me, I was using a heavily filtered power supply putting out just under 9 V. Once I switched over to a nonfiltered power supply it fired right up. So I guess it’s just really picky about voltage?

Honestly nope, haven’t had much free time since the semester started, so the last thing I’ve wanted to do was go right into troubleshooting something. Kept looking over at it this week while I was on break, but i couldn’t muster up the motivation to give it a go, just as I somehow completely avoided going to campus to catch up on any of the projects I’m behind on 😂

Back