Help sourcing Transistors for Twin Face.

I prefer matching gains in a Silicon FF. hFE is all that matters and parts numbers are irrelevant.

Typically, matching hFE gives smoother fuzz while asymmetrical hFE gives more characteristic square wave distortion and a more aggressive character.

The asymmetrical hFE thing as a general rule in Fuzz Faces is pure myth though with respect to Ge or Si Fuzzes. At least as it’s bandied about for matching devices or achieving “that” sound.
I can’t quite understand why matching hfe would do that, does it have to do with the feedback loop?

I can’t quite understand why matching hfe would do that, does it have to do with the feedback loop?

I won’t BS you by saying I know exactly why either.

That’s what my ears tell me though.

That answer is in the relationship between Q2 hFE and how it’s coupled to Q1 through the feedback resistor. I imagine there are important relationships between the flow of current between them depending on the hFE value of Q2 and that informs the differences in distortion characteristics.

I won’t BS you by saying I know exactly why either.

That’s what my ears tell me though.

That answer is in the relationship between Q2 hFE and how it’s coupled to Q1 through the feedback resistor. I imagine there are important relationships between the flow of current between them depending on the hFE value of Q2 and that informs the differences in distortion characteristics.
Maybe a simulation is in order…

Back