Anyone else having issues with Tayda Chromium Enclosures?

Fingolfen

I just had my first catastrophic failure of a powder coat on a Tayda Enclosure - one of the Chromium enclosures I put an Ominous Carnivorous Dinosaur into started flaking around the toggle switch pretty much ruining the enclosure. I'd noticed that the finish was fragile - I mean, it seems like they'd scratch just using abrasive language around them, but this is something far different and far worse:

OCD Flaking issue.jpg

Anyone else encountered similar issues?

That’s a bummer. I don’t remember who it was but I think someone not too long ago said to stay away from chromium finishes from tayda they seem to chip very easily. I still think the design looks great for what it’s worth.

I don't purchase enclosures at nearly the volume of some others here, but personally speaking I feel like while some of the metallic finishes have always been a little fragile, it's seemed to me like across the board Tayda's enclosures have just been a bit more flimsy when it comes to their powdercoats lately. I don't know if they're not getting cured enough or something but I've had a fair few recently that just seem weaker than previously.

The white one I received the other day seemed very soft. I got a few minor scratches in it just from assembling it. You can’t see them from a foot away, but still, they should be more stout than that. Definitely not cured enough, or not cleaned properly before powder coating.

You should contact them about it, they can't fix what they don't know about! They may be thinking how great the chrome finish is working, you know? Otherwise next year they'll be wondering why no one buys chrome anymore....

I got mine drilled by tayda and haven't noticed any problems, but mine also has a large area UV print and I haven't put it on my board yet. @Fingolfen were yours pre drill or did you drill them yourself?

I'va had bad luck with a yellow and lately a black one... the yellow was the worst... chipped like hell when punching holes... View attachment 41032
Maybe put paper tape on it and just make a smaller indent just in the tape. You can also start with a very thin drill, which can't skate as far. Paper tape helps to keep plywood from splintering when drilling, might help some to keep this from cracking and flaking. Are you using a drill press?

Maybe put paper tape on it and just make a smaller indent just in the tape. You can also start with a very thin drill, which can't skate as far. Paper tape helps to keep plywood from splintering when drilling, might help some to keep this from cracking and flaking. Are you using a drill press?
Yes, doing it on the drill press, using a step drill bit. Drilling was not the best, but the chipping gets hidden under the washers... It was the first time happening, normally the drill bit just cut through the paint.
But that one came from using the spring loaded punch. I reached to Hugo, who told me he would talk about it in the shop.

Yes, doing it on the drill press, using a step drill bit. Drilling was not the best, but the chipping gets hidden under the washers... It was the first time happening, normally the drill bit just cut through the paint.
But that one came from using the spring loaded punch. I reached to Hugo, who told me he would talk about it in the shop.
I use drill hog bits and never experience any chatter or vibration that would lead to chipping. Very little pressure on the bit, and general purpose oil to prevent overheating the bit. Plus I paint mine after I drill them, which isn't an option if you're getting UV printing. And I use a vise, because just the slightest slip is all it takes to transfer a great deal of stress to the area being drilled.

I've had problems with their powder coats chipping on a number of the "newer" glitter colors. Seems like the powder coat is thicker and usually chips with I'm center punching. So on those colors I don't center punch anymore. I just mark it with a sharpie and drill.

I've experienced chipping on a couple occasions in various finishes. I think in the past couple years I've had 5 that chipped easily out of a hundred or so. No matter what you do, they still chipped. I tried tape, I keep my bits sharp and use the correct drilling speed on my drill press. If the application and curing of the powder coat is not done right it's gonna happen. And steer clear of the brown glitter at all costs, they should rename that one "glass" brown.

I would echo some of the same - I don't actually have many (if any) problems with the drilling itself at all. But using a spring-loaded center punch has made the last few chip BAD. I mean like, little chips of the powdercoat noticeably flying off the enclosure with force :p

And beyond that as mentioned they have just seemed rather flimsy in general lately. Usual "handling" that wouldn't have been a problem is now seeing enclosures scratched to hell and back... It's gotten to the point where I am basically wrapping the whole thing in painter's tape until it's 99% complete and even that doesn't seem to be enough to keep it particularly clean.

(And of course as soon as the tape comes off and the pedal goes on the pedalboard it immediately starts picking up scratches if you so much as look at it harshly)

I've tried chrome powder coats three times from Small Bear. I had a lot of trouble each occasion. Not sure it's a Tayda specific thing.

Confirmed… Wrapping up a build last night and center punched a chromium 125b and noticed it was flaky looking… I went to the drill press and predrilled my pilot holes with 1/8” bit and then drilled all my holes…I have good sharp drill bits and it’s still choppy/flaky… This is most likely a result from poor cleaning and zero abrasive prep to their enclosures….It’s clearly and adhesion issue… They have no mechanical bond and they are most likely depending on the powder coat to stick to a clean smooth surface… which is negligible… I’m a liquid coatings expert by trade… They are skipping steps to keep them cheap and keep them moving… This is the first time I’ve seen them fail this bad.

Back