Is the Pathogen (Abasi Pathos) mostly inspired by the Sanguine (Revv G4) ?

eh là bas ma

I just built the Pathogen and tried to find more info about it.

It was made from a collaboration with a gifted guitarist. I discovered a good band, a bit technical for my taste, but great sounds. Unfortunatly, beside "american metal amp" on musikding, I couldn't find much.

The circuit from pedapcb looks a lot like the Tyrian and the Sanguine distortions, so I listened to some G4 demos and we are definitly in this universe with the Pathogen. It is so obvious that I can't help but think that Abasi Pathos is Wampler's take on G4.

Looking at schematics, they are certainly different, but the overall design looks similar to an ignorant like myself.

I wonder if it is safe to say that the Pathogen is some kind of variant of the Sanguine ?

It’s a wampler triple wreck without the wacky boost and one resistor changed.
Thanks for your reply !

....so, you don't think these wampler circuits have similarities with G4 ? It wouldn' t be fair to say so, they are completely different beasts ?

Last edited:
The wampler triple wreck is based on the mesa triple rectifier amp sound, and the pedal might even predate Revv as a whole company. I would say if anything the G4 is based on wamplers work, but at the end of the day they are both built using fairly standard building blocks and don't have any wild tricks in their designs.

The wampler triple wreck is based on the mesa triple rectifier amp sound, and the pedal might even predate Revv as a whole company. I would say if anything the G4 is based on wamplers work, but at the end of the day they are both built using fairly standard building blocks and don't have any wild tricks in their designs.
So both Pathos and Triple Wreck are based on this Mesa amp. I can understand the enigmatic "american metal amp" description now.

Thank you very much !

In the pedal description from Wampler's youtube channel there is a reference to a 5150 amp :

"Many people have told us that it sounds more like a 5150 amp to them than a distortion pedal, that may very well be -"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2S9HUHsqM

I am not familiar with 5150 amps, I found that several amp brands made some 5150, and the number seems to be a reference to a "number of the section of the Welfare and Institutions Code, which allows an adult who is experiencing a mental health crisis to be involuntarily detained for a 72- hour ". But i am just guessing here...

So it looks like it is both inspired by Mesa and Peavey.

You've found yourself another rabbit hole. The original Peavey 5150 amp is allegedly a design taken from soldano by Eddie Van Halen, after working on the design together he decided to have peavey make it instead, again allegedly due to a more lucrative contract. The mesa rectifier line of amps have long been said to have ripped off Soldano's designs as well. So they more or less both come from the same soldano DNA, but what is a soldano but a modded marshall, and what is a marshall but a modded fender bassman.

Yes, I believe we came out withe the Triple Wreck way before Revv existed as a company, lol. A bit of useless trivia is that for a short period of time it was called the Triple Recstortion :ROFLMAO:

it was called the Triple Recstortion
Thanks for your reply !

I guess such a transparent name would have made it easier for me to understand the roots of this distortion.

I have to say I like very much its cold warmth and sparkling darkness. I built it out of curiosity because I already loved the Velvet Fuzz (with a boost cut mod*), and the Sovereign.
I tried RC4558P, NE5532 and TL72, with a slight preference for TL72. This afternoon, I'll try it with one of each at IC1, IC2 and IC3, and swap them around, until I find what's best for the Blues Junior 3 and me.

I just watched your explanations about the Dist+ and the DOD250.

It was interesting, and I would humbly suggest to try the DODfx76 (PPCB Pacifier).
If I understood correctly, it's a DOD250 with an extra DOD Fuzz circuit. You can blend the distortion with some fuzzy sounds in a very interesting way.

I used a 2N2369A at Q2 (the "fuzz transistor"), added an extra Bias control** on Q1 , which is really effective to shape the sound from something sharp and bright, to something smoother around the edges.
Lots of possibilities with OD/Fuzz controls interactions. I like it very much, it's among my favorite circuits. I know @Betty Wont likes it too, and many other gifted guitarists...

I'd say it gives the DOD250 a whole new dimension, but i am sure it could be improved... It feels like something is missing to be absolutely perfect, but I can't say what it is.
Something about the Hi-cut control design, or transistor choices maybe ? Only an amazing and punkified, pacified electronic engineer could bring the FX76 to its best possibilities, I guess....

* https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/bypassing-fuzz-part-in-corduroy-fuzz.2951/
** https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/fuzz-control-on-the-pacifier.1794/#post-93009
FX76 : https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/Pacifier.pdf

Last edited:
I am not familiar with 5150 amps, I found that several amp brands made some 5150, and the number seems to be a reference to a "number of the section of the Welfare and Institutions Code, which allows an adult who is experiencing a mental health crisis to be involuntarily detained for a 72- hour ". But i am just guessing here...
This is just a cultural reference you're probably not understanding due to either your age group, musical preferences, or where you live in the world;)

Just to keep you from trying to look up "5150" as a part/component number or vacuum tube type or something like that, which would become frustrating for you...well, you were actually much closer with the mental health crisis thing! it's basically a police code for "WE ARE DEALING WITH A CRAZY PERSON IN PUBLIC!" here in America.

Van Halen put out an album called "5150" in the mid-1980s, and it became kind of an informal moniker that became associated with Eddie Van Halen over the hears: he was known to stencil the number on his guitars, eventually named his amp models as such, etc etc.

Back