MBP AquaBaby with Modulation Board (Boss DM-2)

MichaelW

This is less a build report rather than a saga of woeful mistakes and unobtanium parts hahah.

Lots of TL;DR below......

Since building my Tourbus I've wanted a second BBD analog delay for my dual delay setup which is my standard goto sound.
Essentially copped from Andy Timmons. Dotted 1/8th into a 1/4 note around 500ms/300ms.

I didn't want another DMM so during the last MBP sale I picked up a couple of the other MBP BBD delays including this AquaBaby, which is basically a scaled down version of the Boss DM-2 without modulation and fits into a 1590B.

I saw "1590B" and ordered it. (More on this later) Then I also ordered the Modulation add on board for $1 more.
I also ordered the Man O War Deluxe which is the Maxon AD-900.

Both of these boards require the MN3101 clock chip to drive the MN3005 BBD delay. The AquaBaby needs 1, and the ManOWar needs 2.

Little did I know they're freaking unobtanium. Real ones anyway. After a long sordid story of sourcing from a bunch of different places, getting counterfeits, getting ones that didn't work, sending @Dan0h some to test for me, getting @fig to test some, blah blah blah to cut the story short I found some that seem legit, work great AND are inexpensive!

So before going any further, here's the source if you're looking for MN3101's. It's an eBay seller that's really a decent guy.
Link to MN3101's. The ones that finally worked for me were marked with date/lot code "0.7". If you ask for it, he will send those to you.
The first ones he sent me were marked "0.05" and did not work for me, or @fig or @Dan0h.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I started running into my second issue. I actually used 3 different enclosures trying to build this pedal.
Remember I said I saw "1590B"? Well what I didn't realize and probably should have looked closer, it was 1590B with "side jacks".

Since I can't abide with side jacks, I needed to convert it to top jacks. Well, I hate to admit it but it was a total fail....just won't work with the shape of the board, not for lack of trying.

I initially tried to build it with the add on modulation daughterboard, I knew it would be impossible to get it into a 1590B so I figured SURELY I can get it into a 125B right? Nope.....it was a mess. First of all the pots are all off board wired, so it's a "floating" board. Secondly, it's TWO floating boards with the modulation daughterboard. I think I shorted something out or fried something my first attempt.

This is how it all began, sounded like a good idea at the time......
IMG_3581.JPG
IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG

It was all good up to this point, then I tried to install the jacks, even with Lumbergs there just wasn't enough clearance to not short out against the board. So needless to say, this iteration never worked. I'm not exactly sure what I killed but this was before I got the confirmed working MN3101's so I needed to rule that out before diving into troubleshooting a complicated build.

So, shamelessly, (ok with a little bit of shame) I ordered a second board and rebuilt the pedal. This time I figure I would test it before adding the modulation daughterboard.

Coincidentally, I now also had some new MN3101's from a few different sources to try. (Some came all the way from Germany!)
So here's my little temp testing rig......
IMG_3760.JPG

And eureka! We have delay!!!! At this point I had to decide if I:
a) wanted to add the mod board back in and
b) wanted to try the 125B again.
It was a Yes and No answer.

I decided to bag the notion of a teeny little analog delay with modulation and put the whole shebang in a 1590BB.
That turned out to be an excellent decision. I could lay everything out the way I wanted with double sided tape holding the boards down and ensure NO groundouts.

This is how it finally ended up.
IMG_3762.JPG

IMG_3763.JPG

Pretty messy by MichaelW standards, but it was the best I could do with a "cowboy" kind of board.

I absolutely LOVE the sounds of this pedal! The delays are a bit more defined and "sharper" than the Deluxe Memory Man.
The modulation is a bit more pronounced. A couple things I DON'T like about it, is that modulation rate LED never shuts off, even if you have the modulation turned off by the toggle. (This is not unique, the Caesar Chorus is the same way). The second thing I don't like is that even with the depth turned all the way CCW, there's still a significant amount of modulation on the delays. So it's either on/off or a lot of modulation. There's no "subtlety" here.

Right now I have it in my buffered loop for time based pedals, I'm using the AquaBaby as the dotted 1/8th note generator running into my TourBus which has the 1/4 note setting. I've got the modulation turned off on the AquaBaby and using just the modulation on the TourBus which can be dialed much more subtle. The sound is really quite lovely.
Kinda like running two Deluxe Memory Man units in series.

Eventually I want to experiment with a true stereo rig with my recording setup, but I haven't quite decided how to do it yet. The cardinal rule is that all my effects HAVE to be DIY, no software, no retail....I'm getting there....hahah.

Anyway, as much as I love this pedal, I would not recommend it. I would say wait and get the Aquaboy Deluxe, which has the modulation onboard and is laid out like a "proper" pedal with PCB mounted pots to hold the PCB. (They're currently sold out) Or...get the ManOWar, or Tourbus.

I will also let you in on the best kept secret.....all this crap, headache, expense I went through to have this dual delay analog BBD delay sound can be had in a single pedal that's MUCH easier to build. The PedalPCB Hydra. The "age" knob on the Hydra REALLY has THE BEST BBD analog simulator I've heard short of the Strymon El Capistan. So if you want the "sound" build the Hydra. If you want the joy, tears, frustration and elation of the experience, build the analog delays hahaha..........

Last edited:
The rate led drives me batshit crazy. I just don’t hook up the negative side (sorry I can never remember if it’s anode or cathode, the short leg). Run a wire from there to pin 8 of the 3pdt same place you wire the sw pad from the pcb. And the rate led turns off when in bypass.

Dude you are crazy. But you get shit done. Kudos for not throwing in the towel. It really is a great sounding counterpart to the DMM.

The rate led drives me batshit crazy. I just don’t hook up the negative side (sorry I can never remember if it’s anode or cathode, the short leg). Run a wire from there to pin 8 of the 3pdt same place you wire the sw pad from the pcb. And the rate led turns off when in bypass.
Hmmm......tell me more, how can I make it turn off when the modulation toggle is off? (The pedal is an always on pedal)

Dude you are crazy. But you get shit done. Kudos for not throwing in the towel. It really is a great sounding counterpart to the DMM.
Dang @Dan0h, I was just looking at your AB build and it looks lovely.....except for the side jacks.... :ROFLMAO:
Seriously I totally missed that when I was buying the board.

Were the Musikding MN3101 problematic as well?

Great build. I have a Deluxe to build but that’s probably waiting until next year..

Thanks for the link on the 3101. I’ve been looking for a reliable source. I have the AB Deluxe on the bench half done.

A vintage DMM is my favorite pedal. (The reissues, regardless of chip, just aren’t the same to me). My second favorite pedal is a DM-2 with the MN3005 chip. Later ones have a 3205 and are great but the 3005 version is special. There is nothing better than a great BBD delay. But I do have a Hydra in my stack and you've peaked my curiosity! Since we (mostly me) are talking Delays I'll also mention the Maxon AD-900. Absolutely gorgeous delay if you want warm AND clean repeats.

The DM-2 is not a delay with modulation. So leaving it out would be true to the original.

I too love a good 1590B build but we need to fix your issue with side jacks. The two go together and are a beautiful thing! Inspired by you I recently tried a few top mount 1590B builds and it did not end well!

Thanks for the link on the 3101. I’ve been looking for a reliable source. I have the AB Deluxe on the bench half done.

A vintage DMM is my favorite pedal. (The reissues, regardless of chip, just aren’t the same to me). My second favorite pedal is a DM-2 with the MN3005 chip. Later ones have a 3205 and are great but the 3005 version is special. There is nothing better than a great BBD delay. But I do have a Hydra in my stack and you've peaked my curiosity! Since we (mostly me) are talking Delays I'll also mention the Maxon AD-900. Absolutely gorgeous delay if you want warm AND clean repeats.

The DM-2 is not a delay with modulation. So leaving it out would be true to the original.

I too love a good 1590B build but we need to fix your issue with side jacks. The two go together and are a beautiful thing! Inspired by you I recently tried a few top mount 1590B builds and it did not end well!
So the MPB "Man O War" is a clone of the Maxon AD-900. Really looking forward to that build to see what it's about.
I agree about the modulation on the DM-2. Doesn't seem to fit the delay. It's not "well integrated" like a DMM is. "Feels and sounds" like an "add-on" which it is.

This is less a build report rather than a saga of woeful mistakes and unobtanium parts hahah.

Lots of TL;DR below......

Since building my Tourbus I've wanted a second BBD analog delay for my dual delay setup which is my standard goto sound.
Essentially copped from Andy Timmons. Dotted 1/8th into a 1/4 note around 500ms/300ms.

I didn't want another DMM so during the last MBP sale I picked up a couple of the other MBP BBD delays including this AquaBaby, which is basically a scaled down version of the Boss DM-2 without modulation and fits into a 1590B.

I saw "1590B" and ordered it. (More on this later) Then I also ordered the Modulation add on board for $1 more.
I also ordered the Man O War Deluxe which is the Maxon AD-900.

Both of these boards require the MN3101 clock chip to drive the MN3005 BBD delay. The AquaBaby needs 1, and the ManOWar needs 2.

Little did I know they're freaking unobtanium. Real ones anyway. After a long sordid story of sourcing from a bunch of different places, getting counterfeits, getting ones that didn't work, sending @Dan0h some to test for me, getting @fig to test some, blah blah blah to cut the story short I found some that seem legit, work great AND are inexpensive!

So before going any further, here's the source if you're looking for MN3101's. It's an eBay seller that's really a decent guy.
Link to MN3101's. The ones that finally worked for me were marked with date/lot code "0.7". If you ask for it, he will send those to you.
The first ones he sent me were marked "0.05" and did not work for me, or @fig or @Dan0h.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I started running into my second issue. I actually used 3 different enclosures trying to build this pedal.
Remember I said I saw "1590B"? Well what I didn't realize and probably should have looked closer, it was 1590B with "side jacks".

Since I can't abide with side jacks, I needed to convert it to top jacks. Well, I hate to admit it but it was a total fail....just won't work with the shape of the board, not for lack of trying.

I initially tried to build it with the add on modulation daughterboard, I knew it would be impossible to get it into a 1590B so I figured SURELY I can get it into a 125B right? Nope.....it was a mess. First of all the pots are all off board wired, so it's a "floating" board. Secondly, it's TWO floating boards with the modulation daughterboard. I think I shorted something out or fried something my first attempt.

This is how it all began, sounded like a good idea at the time......
View attachment 34682
View attachment 34683

View attachment 34684
View attachment 34685
View attachment 34686

It was all good up to this point, then I tried to install the jacks, even with Lumbergs there just wasn't enough clearance to not short out against the board. So needless to say, this iteration never worked. I'm not exactly sure what I killed but this was before I got the confirmed working MN3101's so I needed to rule that out before diving into troubleshooting a complicated build.

So, shamelessly, (ok with a little bit of shame) I ordered a second board and rebuilt the pedal. This time I figure I would test it before adding the modulation daughterboard.

Coincidentally, I now also had some new MN3101's from a few different sources to try. (Some came all the way from Germany!)
So here's my little temp testing rig......
View attachment 34687

And eureka! We have delay!!!! At this point I had to decide if I:
a) wanted to add the mod board back in and
b) wanted to try the 125B again.
It was a Yes and No answer.

I decided to bag the notion of a teeny little analog delay with modulation and put the whole shebang in a 1590BB.
That turned out to be an excellent decision. I could lay everything out the way I wanted with double sided tape holding the boards down and ensure NO groundouts.

This is how it finally ended up.
View attachment 34688

View attachment 34689

Pretty messy by MichaelW standards, but it was the best I could do with a "cowboy" kind of board.

I absolutely LOVE the sounds of this pedal! The delays are a bit more defined and "sharper" than the Deluxe Memory Man.
The modulation is a bit more pronounced. A couple things I DON'T like about it, is that modulation rate LED never shuts off, even if you have the modulation turned off by the toggle. (This is not unique, the Caesar Chorus is the same way). The second thing I don't like is that even with the depth turned all the way CCW, there's still a significant amount of modulation on the delays. So it's either on/off or a lot of modulation. There's no "subtlety" here.

Right now I have it in my buffered loop for time based pedals, I'm using the AquaBaby as the dotted 1/8th note generator running into my TourBus which has the 1/4 note setting. I've got the modulation turned off on the AquaBaby and using just the modulation on the TourBus which can be dialed much more subtle. The sound is really quite lovely.
Kinda like running two Deluxe Memory Man units in series.

Eventually I want to experiment with a true stereo rig with my recording setup, but I haven't quite decided how to do it yet. The cardinal rule is that all my effects HAVE to be DIY, no software, no retail....I'm getting there....hahah.

Anyway, as much as I love this pedal, I would not recommend it. I would say wait and get the Aquaboy Deluxe, which has the modulation onboard and is laid out like a "proper" pedal with PCB mounted pots to hold the PCB. (They're currently sold out) Or...get the ManOWar, or Tourbus.

I will also let you in on the best kept secret.....all this crap, headache, expense I went through to have this dual delay analog BBD delay sound can be had in a single pedal that's MUCH easier to build. The PedalPCB Hydra. The "age" knob on the Hydra REALLY has THE BEST BBD analog simulator I've heard short of the Strymon El Capistan. So if you want the "sound" build the Hydra. If you want the joy, tears, frustration and elation of the experience, build the analog delays hahaha..........

I remember using a 500k pot for modulation depth, and changing R8 to 1M. I just used a regulard tayda ldr and green led, and the modulation was perfect.

I remember using a 500k pot for modulation depth, and changing R8 to 1M. I just used a regulard tayda ldr and green led, and the modulation was perfect.
You mean on the daughterboard? I'm looking at the schematic now. I think I used the red diffused for the LED on the BOM.

I don't think my problem is with the amount of modulation or the taper of the pot, but rather that even the depth and rate turned completely CCW I'm still getting quite a bit of warble. Does yours do this?

Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong on the daughterboard too....doesn't sound like it should behave this way. It does turn completely off with the toggle switch though.

I might throw another board on my next MBP order and take another crack at it....all in the name of science...... :ROFLMAO:

You mean on the daughterboard? I'm looking at the schematic now. I think I used the red diffused for the LED on the BOM.

I don't think my problem is with the amount of modulation or the taper of the pot, but rather that even the depth and rate turned completely CCW I'm still getting quite a bit of warble. Does yours do this?

Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong on the daughterboard too....doesn't sound like it should behave this way. It does turn completely off with the toggle switch though.

I might throw another board on my next MBP order and take another crack at it....all in the name of science...... :ROFLMAO:
Yes I remember the modulation was still strong with the pot at zero. It was much more usable with my mods!

Well shit I didn’t even look at that

Spent a good chunk of my mornin going over the build docs finding places with the ic’s and the board isn’t even available doh.

Great save, build looks awesome. The deluxe AB is my fav analog delay. Definitely recommend getting that one when it's back in stock. I built the AquaBoy 2016 with the modulation add-on but it doesn't sound anywhere close to the deluxe.

Well shit I didn’t even look at that

Spent a good chunk of my mornin going over the build docs finding places with the ic’s and the board isn’t even available doh.
Bummer, I'm looking forward to building the Deluxe. Thanks @Bio77 for confirming my suspicion that the AB Deluxe is going to sound better than the AB + Mod Add on.

Back