7371 Bulb Alternative?

aienco

Hello, I'm in Australia and I have just finished the Electrovibe. I was just about to solder in the Bulb. I got the 7371 Bulb from the US because I couldnt seem to find one here. Before I put it in, I thought I would test it and sure enough, its not working. I only bought the one because it was kind of expensive. Does anyone know if I can use some other kind of Bulb. I know it is 12V but what else is special about it?? I am using the standard LDR's the parts list calls for. I just want to try and get a similar lamp in Australia rather than waiting another 2 to 4 weeks for one to come over again...
Suggestions very welcome.

Tony

Read the build docs, 12v and 40mA.
The 7371 is simply sturdier than the flimsy ones without a base. I coudnt even buy a 7371 in Europe because only Mouser carries it but shipping is a whopping 20 euros for orders below 50 Euros.

You could try an LED. It won't sound quite the same because incandescent bulbs are way slower than LEDs. You will also have to turn the Gain & Bias trimmers way down and maybe change a resistor or two if they don't go low enough.

Or look for a different bulb. It has to be rated for 15V or less and most importantly, rated for 40mA or less.

Have you checked out Aztronics in Adelaide? The guy there is a bit unpleasant, but he might have what you need.

I'm curious, how did you test the bulb?

Thank you. Yes I do know Altronics. I buy from there regularly. I will give them a try.
g'day 🙋‍♂️

altronics is different to aztronics..

http://shop.aztronics.com.au/ (small independent shop in the CBD)

https://www.altronics.com.au/ (franchise) - (120ma - lowest current rating 12V bulb available)

there's jaycar, but only 100ma available..

if no luck with aztronics, maybe try:
https://www.midnorthcoastcomponents.com/ (although their website appears to be rather useless, ive bought stuff from their ebay store before, and they were good)

Oh, ok i just assumed it was a typo on your behalf. Thank you. I will give those places a try.
just to give you an update / heads up - im also planning to do a univibe build at some point, and the cheapest / best option i can find is sourcing these from banzaimusic (who also have the 9203 LDRs in stock)

I just made an order yesterday - w/ flat rate shipping @ 8.9 euros to Australia (< 500g)

just goes to show that any other retailer charging more than 8.9 euros for sub 500g orders, is absolutely taking the mickey and should be ashamed of themselves.

- exhibit A:
why I'll never buy from smallbear:

1675041528680.png

SB is just charging what it costs them. You wanna be pissed at someone, be pissed at the carriers, including AusPost. A letter from Oz to the US cost $10 a couple of years ago.
good point, i get that smallbear are a smaller independent operation, and probably get a rough deal vs. the bigger retailers.
but unfortunately that results in prohibitively expensive shipping charges for anyone that doesn't live in the US.

not wrong, AusPost is bloody awful. DHL is the way.

I avoided SB when I lived in HK, but it's almost reasonable now that I live back in the GWN again.

I just ordered some bulbs and sockets from Synthcube...

just to give you an update / heads up - im also planning to do a univibe build at some point, and the cheapest / best option i can find is sourcing these from banzaimusic (who also have the 9203 LDRs in stock)

I just made an order yesterday - w/ flat rate shipping @ 8.9 euros to Australia (< 500g)

just goes to show that any other retailer charging more than 8.9 euros for sub 500g orders, is absolutely taking the mickey and should be ashamed of themselves.

- exhibit A:

View attachment 41237
Banzai charged me 11.49 Euros for shipping on an 84 Euro order. That's from Germany to Poland, literally across the border. Thank you, DHL!
A 57 Euro order from Retroamplis in Spain cost me over 13 Euros in shipping with GLS.
If I order from Tayda I suspect DHL will charge me something close to 50 Euros.
Any order from the US is hit with 25% in VAT and import fees.
So consider yourself lucky.

Banzai charged me 11.49 Euros for shipping on an 84 Euro order. That's from Germany to Poland, literally across the border. Thank you, DHL!
A 57 Euro order from Retroamplis in Spain cost me over 13 Euros in shipping with GLS.
If I order from Tayda I suspect DHL will charge me something close to 50 Euros.
Any order from the US is hit with 25% in VAT and import fees.
So consider yourself lucky.
don't worry, we cop import fees and taxes too :)

- exhibit A:

View attachment 41237
I feel your pain. costs the same to go to you as it does to Toronto, Canada. I’m probably 600 miles, at most, from Waltham, MA. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back