DEMO I apologize in advance to my neighbors (Parentheses Mini Fuzz)

This post contains an audio or video demo

jwyles90

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hey all! Been a while since I've posted a build report on here. Life has been throwing a few curve balls my way lately, so I've found myself a lot busier than usual, with less time to commit to building. That being said, I finished this one up yesterday and was pretty impressed with it right off the bat. The build itself was pretty straightforward and a lot of fun. As just a straight-up distortion this thing rocks, but throwing some of that octave in there takes it up like, ten notches and it can do all the crazy thumping heaviness you'd expect from a pedal like this. I'm still not entirely sure how I want to use the boost, since with this kind of pedal I'd keep the distortion relatively high anyways, but I like that the option to boost it a little further is there. I used an OP07 for the op-amp and a couple D9V diodes for the germaniums. Overall I think they sound great!

This was also my first time trying out a waterslide decal, and I had a bit of a mixed result with it. When I put the decal on it went on smoothly and the image looked normal. After it dried, for some reason those horizontal lines became more visible and turned this weird green color. I think it might've had something to do with the fact that the enclosure was drilled prior to putting the decal on, and maybe this particular brand of paper doesn't really like bare aluminum enclosures? I'm honestly not really sure, since this was the only enclosure that has had that happen (I've put decals on around 5 or 6 different enclosures now). It's not the worst thing in the world, since I kind of like the way it looks with that particular image but it's definitely not something I'd like to have happen everytime I use a decal. So, if anyone has any tips on applying waterslides, those are greatly appreciated.
IMG-8360.JPG IMG-8359.JPG

I only have experience with black toner when it comes to no film water decals. @Harry Klippton he might be able to help. But if im going to be completely honest with you this looks really good! Looks like a happy mistake to me! All in all i love the build man, better yet would love to hear a demo! :cool:

I only have experience with black toner when it comes to no film water decals. @Harry Klippton he might be able to help. But if im going to be completely honest with you this looks really good! Looks like a happy mistake to me! All in all i love the build man, better yet would love to hear a demo! :cool:
Thanks! Yea I would definitely call it a happy accident as well. And I'll hopefully have some time to get around to making a little demo for this one soon. This thing freakin rips.

Are you using a traditional waterslide, as opposed to the sunnyscopa film free decals? The horizontal lines look like they're from your printer
So I've been doing a lot of trial and error trying to figure out the best way to make it work with my set up. I've got a pretty standard Canon Inkjet printer that has proven to be quite finicky when I print waterslides. I've been using this paper. I think maybe this specific image and the color gradient in particular made it easy for those lines to show up?

I don't know how to say this another way. I think it's your printer, not the paper per se
Yea I get what you're saying. I'd like to invest in a better printer for this at some point, but it's not quite in the cards just yet.

It's so weird, since that was the only decal where that happened. All my other decals have gone on fine. I did realize that this specific one was oriented horizontally on the page, whereas my other decals were vertical and probably with the "grain" of the page.

Have you tried running the cleaning thing? There should be an option in your printer manager on your computer. It helps clear the inkjets and that might help

I tried the Sunnyscopa film-free waterslide decals today on a powder coated pedal I got from Tayda. It was my first attempt at it and it came out pretty decent on the second try (I think I had too much glue and not enough heat the first time). Anyway, just wanted to chime in here to say there's an excellent tutorial on this forum (I think you have to register to see it). Also, you don't need to invest in a laser printer; I took a USB drive with my artwork down to FedEx Office/Kinkos and used their color laser printer for a whopping $0.68. I printed 4 images on 1 sheet to fit a 125B enclosure. I need to do some build reports at some point. I was skeptical about the film-free decals at first, but after today's experience, I'm sold! Good luck!

I tried the Sunnyscopa film-free waterslide decals today on a powder coated pedal I got from Tayda. It was my first attempt at it and it came out pretty decent on the second try (I think I had too much glue and not enough heat the first time). Anyway, just wanted to chime in here to say there's an excellent tutorial on this forum (I think you have to register to see it). Also, you don't need to invest in a laser printer; I took a USB drive with my artwork down to FedEx Office/Kinkos and used their color laser printer for a whopping $0.68. I printed 4 images on 1 sheet to fit a 125B enclosure. I need to do some build reports at some point. I was skeptical about the film-free decals at first, but after today's experience, I'm sold! Good luck!
I generally try to get 6 125bs per sheet. You can space em a bit closer

Oh nice! Yea I might have to give that a shot. If I’m doing decals for pedals that I’m just gonna be playing at home I can live with the occasional wonkiness, but I’ve had a few friends as me to build them something so it’d be cool to kick it up a notch for that

You’ll have to excuse the phone quality videos, but here are a couple clips I made recently of it:
On its own
With the Walrus Audio Slö

Back