Hydra Delay

apc42069

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is my Hydra. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

I got burnt out on PT2399s, and wanted to dip my toes in the FV-1 waters. Highly recommend this project. A bunch of usable sounds for all styles, but in my brief TIME with her, I think she SHINES brightest doing the Gilmour echo RUN LIKE HELL sorta thing.

I was hesitant for the longest because of my lack of SMD experience - I've successfully soldered SOT-233s, but man those SOIC-28 pins are teeeeeeeny tiny! All praise to @Robert for offering pre-soldered boards. No shame in paying for that service far as I'm concerned.

A few "fun" lessons learned on this build...

1) PAY ATTENTION

2) PAY ATTENTION

3) PAY ATTENTI --- you get the idea.

I did not mind the sizes of my 1/8W resistors.. waiting all those lonely days for Digikey and Mouser to knock on my door, when..well I could have just used the 1/4Ws I had on hand. whoopsy daisy.

I did not mind the ICs after finishing up the wiring. No wet signal. wtf? ::eek:pens forums, navigates to troubleshooting, reads multiple posts, finds one with the same exact issue. wrong chip. lol what a dumbass. I jump R5 to ground. the chip is functional. oh wait...let's just double check IC2. yep, that's the randomizer for the Low Tide i've yet to build. lmaooo what a dumbass::

I did not properly mind the fresnel lens when mounting in the enclosure (I managed to finagle LED mostly in, but oy vey).

I did not mind the locking washers on the toggles that I had carefully threaded so the dress nuts sit flush (see the orange washers I ended up having to use : )

Obviously these aren't lessons, but let my haste and excitement remind ye to exercise patience and awareness as always!

For the enclosure - pretext is: I've one chapter left of Dune, and anyone who's delved into the world of Paul Muadib can relate to how all encompassing it is. When considering the Hydra, all I could think of was blessing the Maker and his water. All my attempts at creating worm art looked like butt holes or uncircumcised dicks, or somehow both, so I eschewed Shai-Hulud from the design & opted for a generalized Arrakis vibe.

Burnt Orange powder coat, UV printing from Tayda w/ varnish gloss. Black 3pdt and Carling dress nut (it's the little things) from Amplified Parts.

IMG_2063.jpg IMG_2065.jpg IMG_2067.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
Back