First Time Building, want to build Dunwich DA-120

afrofail

To begin with, please accept my apologies in advance, as I may require further explanation. The reason for my interest in this layout is due to the unavailability of the Dunwich DA-120 pedal. I have always been fascinated by the idea of building one myself, hence the decision to explore this option.

Currently, I am in the process of ordering the required parts. However, I have come across multiple variations of the "47uf" component, which are not specifically mentioned in this layout. I was wondering if there is a beginner-friendly YouTube video that could provide guidance in conjunction with a similar layout. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Dunwich DA120 OD recent revision.png
    Dunwich DA120 OD recent revision.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 21
47uF - this is an electrolytic capacitor (polaryzed). Capacitors are labeled with pF, nF, uF.
Install DIY Layout Creator and look through the element libraries - you'll find out about the symbols used on this type of layouts.

To begin with, please accept my apologies in advance, as I may require further explanation. The reason for my interest in this layout is due to the unavailability of the Dunwich DA-120 pedal. I have always been fascinated by the idea of building one myself, hence the decision to explore this option.

Currently, I am in the process of ordering the required parts. However, I have come across multiple variations of the "47uf" component, which are not specifically mentioned in this layout. I was wondering if there is a beginner-friendly YouTube video that could provide guidance in conjunction with a similar layout. Thanks in advance!
That’s quite an ambitious project for your first pedal, especially as it’s a vero build, and not a well laid out and verified PedalPCB (or other) board. Here are some useful resources I highly recommend you read through first:

Last edited:
One other thing about electrolytic capacitors (typically in the 1uF to 220uF range for pedals)… watch out for the voltage ratings on the caps, as it can impact size. If you order a higher voltage rating (e.g., 50-100V on a 100uF) you’ll like get a cap that doesn’t fit on the board. And never go too low either. Since most pedals run at 9V, with many internally bumping the voltage to 18V, make sure the cap voltage rating is sufficient - 16V-25V cap ratings will be fine for this Dunwich circuit.

There are a lot of places to go wrong on that project, but if you're methodical/detail-oriented there's nothing about it that's any harder than any other vero build - there's just MORE of it (ie, more places for things to go wrong and a lot more work to trouble shoot). 6 knobs and a switch are going to be a spaghetti nightmare, so probably get a bigger enclosure than you think you need.

Also, just as a confidence builder and to make sure you kinda follow the step-by-steps of doing a stripboard project, I'd try knocking out a good ol' naga viper and seeing how that goes. It's a simple project and will also sound rad in front of the dunwich.

Don't be discouraged, YOLO, build the thing you want to build, and just be patient and appreciative if you end up needing help troubleshooting.

If you want to make it a leeeeeetle easier on yrself:

Back