An Open Source Programmable Effects Switcher

That port is most likely for programming the microcontroller, since they probably receive the assembled PCBs with a blank microcontroller.

That port is most likely for programming the microcontroller, since they probably receive the assembled PCBs with a blank microcontroller.

That makes sense.

The BYOC Super 8 is vert interesting. I'll have to look into the MCU they are using there.

The big hurdle here regardless of the MCU is programming.

Take a keyboard apart and take the guts out. Put it in a box, and hook the contacts for different keys up to momentary switches. Bingo, instant software controller. Just pour software in and shake well before using.

I think the microcontroller used in the Super 8 may be good for this project. They are plentiful in both DIP and SMD format and there are a few hardware breadboarding environments and plenty of support on programming them.

So I definitely think the PIC16F887 is the way to go, in my limited experience.

I did some more research last night and there seems to be a ton of information out there on programming it, it seems simpler to program than some others and requires less external hardware.

I am working on a similar idea but using midi and controlling it with a separate midi controller that I’m making as well. What you are proposing sounds excellent though and I’m definitely interested as well. For my projects I’m attempting the programming but that doesn’t mean I know what I’m doing. I’d be happy to share my progress and lessons learned though if it relates to this project.

Arduino or Teensy is far easier, more powerful, and doesn't require an external programmer.... It has a USB port right there on the module.

My only concern was the size but I'm thinking I could do more with the Arduino.

Take a look at a tutorial for a basic task like using a 7-segment delay for the PIC, then the same tutorial for the Arduino.

I'm not discouraging using a PIC or AVR, but in this particular case I think the Arduino is better suited (and more approachable).

The Nano and Teensy aren't huge, you should have more than enough room for them.

I was just about to mention that. Once your prototype is done you could use an ATMEGA328 IC in the place of the Arduino, the code would be directly compatible.

I'm not sure that the Teensy is quite as flexible, but it comes with some pretty powerful libraries that would make it worth it

Take a look at a tutorial for a basic task like using a 7-segment delay for the PIC, then the same tutorial for the Arduino.

I'm not discouraging using a PIC or AVR, but in this particular case I think the Arduino is better suited (and more approachable).

The Nano and Teensy aren't huge, you should have more than enough room for them.

No, by all means, keep suggesting stuff. I'm underwater a bit with the concepts as these are not my strong suits.

Can’t the arduino code be dumped to either an attiny or atmega chip without much compatibility issues?
I was just about to mention that. Once your prototype is done you could use an ATMEGA328 IC in the place of the Arduino, the code would be directly compatible.

I'm not sure that the Teensy is quite as flexible, but it comes with some pretty powerful libraries that would make it worth it

I'll take a look into this. Much of this is outside my wheelhouse so in the end the ends may not justify the means but it'll be something interesting to look into nonetheless.

I'll take a look into this. Much of this is outside my wheelhouse so in the end the ends may not justify the means but it'll be something interesting to look into nonetheless.

There's really nothing to it.... When you have a working prototype you just export the compiled binary from the Arduino IDE and flash it onto an ATMEGA microcontroller with a USB programmer... Then you no longer need the Arduino module, just the microcontroller IC and a 5V regulator.

Nothing to it, indeed. Those are English words, mostly, but you're not speaking writing English.

I wish I had a handle on this stuff, even if only tacitly. I do find it all fascinating and it's the sort of build I want to do, hence my being here at all.

There's really nothing to it.... When you have a working prototype you just export the compiled binary from the Arduino IDE and flash it onto an ATMEGA microcontroller with a USB programmer... Then you no longer need the Arduino module, just the microcontroller IC and a 5V regulator.

I think first thing that needs to happen is a block diagram and rough sketch of the hardware required. Then I can do a basic schematic where I map the components to pins of whatever controller I use.

Then, we learn to program it.

We don't build pedals because it is easy, we do it because we thought it would be easy!

I can't handle the truth!

cant_handle.jpg

Seconding @Robert with the ease of use of arduino when it comes to beginner programming. I’ve used them in the past and it’s really approachable not to mention the amount of examples and tutorials on the internet is really helpful. Stack overflow and the arduino forum are your friends!

Back