Parentheses Fuzz

finebyfine

Everyone's gotta do the full size at least once I suppose. Fired up 99% perfectly right off the bat, other than some trouble with the expression jack - and I'm not entirely sure I nailed it down - I think my expression pedal is shitty. When wired to a potentiometer the way an expression pedal is usually wired it behaved as expected after switching to isolated jacks.

I forget what BATXX diodes I used for the octave instead of Germanium off the top of my head but they seemed to help the octave effect better than the germanium diodes I used for the clipping.

I've done the mini for myself but got the opportunity to do a full size one as a commission. I like doing non 125Bs when they're not personal builds, I rarely feel like an effect warrants that much pedal board space, even though my pedalboard is an absolute disorganized mess.

I will say surprisingly I think the mini is easier to box up - there's sort of a tradeoff between the two where the mini is harder to populate and solder, and this is easier. I should have positioned the expression jack better but was locked in with where the print ended up.

IMG_8848.jpeg IMG_8836.jpeg

How do you feel about wiring up the OCTAVE switch without the screw terminals?

I honestly had been planning on not using screw terminals on the footswitches, but the only other 3PDTs I had in my component drawers already had them on them. I'm weening off them a tiny bit :ROFLMAO:

How did you do the enclosure graphics? Looks amazing - I should really add an expression control to mine...

I did them in Illustrator and then got the enclosure printed from Tayda. This is two passes of white on matte black sand, a color layer, and then a gloss layer (I think? Looking at it now I can't remember if I did the gloss). I also think the expression control doesn't add anything, but it's a fun thing to throw on to any build.

well done for getting this in build reports and not the troubleshooting section!
There was so much sweat dripping down my face as I plugged it in the first time. I'm far too happy with myself that neither of my parentheses ended up there

Appreciate the unquoted compliments :)

Edit: looked at this thread on my computer instead of just on my phone - does anyone know why my image quality gets reduced so much? I feel like I see a lot of posts that don't!

Last edited:
Everyone's gotta do the full size at least once I suppose. Fired up 99% perfectly right off the bat, other than some trouble with the expression jack - and I'm not entirely sure I nailed it down - I think my expression pedal is shitty. When wired to a potentiometer the way an expression pedal is usually wired it behaved as expected after switching to isolated jacks.

I forget what BATXX diodes I used for the octave instead of Germanium off the top of my head but they seemed to help the octave effect better than the germanium diodes I used for the clipping.

I've done the mini for myself but got the opportunity to do a full size one as a commission. I like doing non 125Bs when they're not personal builds, I rarely feel like an effect warrants that much pedal board space, even though my pedalboard is an absolute disorganized mess.

I will say surprisingly I think the mini is easier to box up - there's sort of a tradeoff between the two where the mini is harder to populate and solder, and this is easier. I should have positioned the expression jack better but was locked in with where the print ended up.

View attachment 19894View attachment 19895
Hello! i was just curious, if you eventually fix the EXP wiring on your build and got working properly? im thinking on upgrading my one. thanks a lot

Hello! i was just curious, if you eventually fix the EXP wiring on your build and got working properly? im thinking on upgrading my one. thanks a lot

I never figured it out for sure. I believe I wired it up as documented here: https://wiki.pedalpcb.com/wiki/Expression_Control_Wiring. I explained it to the guy it was comissioned for and told him to send it back free of charge if it was messed up and knocked the price down a bit for it, but he didn't own an expressional pedal and never got around to testing it either.

Since the build I've bought an expression pedal that works as expected with other effects unlike the one I was testing this build with. He's supposed to be sending it back for repair - something got messed up with the boost after a lot of use - and when he does I'll be able to verify the expression control.

I will say, when I used a pot with a TRS cable as a test external expression control, it didn't strike me as something that was worth using. But it being on a foot pedal could certainly change my opinion, and I've never looked up any demos of people using one on the pedal.

I never figured it out for sure. I believe I wired it up as documented here: https://wiki.pedalpcb.com/wiki/Expression_Control_Wiring. I explained it to the guy it was comissioned for and told him to send it back free of charge if it was messed up and knocked the price down a bit for it, but he didn't own an expressional pedal and never got around to testing it either.

Since the build I've bought an expression pedal that works as expected with other effects unlike the one I was testing this build with. He's supposed to be sending it back for repair - something got messed up with the boost after a lot of use - and when he does I'll be able to verify the expression control.

I will say, when I used a pot with a TRS cable as a test external expression control, it didn't strike me as something that was worth using. But it being on a foot pedal could certainly change my opinion, and I've never looked up any demos of people using one on the pedal.

Hey! Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, appreciate it!

I just saw some vids about the eqd life, last version and saw that exp new feature, so i thought the parenthesis fuzz got even an update, since it seem an easy mod ( even tho i dont know how technically works, to be honest)

But hey if you even get back in your hand that pedal to repair, i would be very interested to know if that exp wiring works and make sense to add it, in order to control the octave with a exp pedal.

Cheers!

Back