CLR for 10mm LED (superbright waterclear)

owlexifry

tomorrow i’m gonna be finishing off a build with one of those monster 10mm waterclear LEDs (from tayda).
normally i use 5mm and with those superbrights, a 20-22K CLR usually works well for me.

so then when i was searching under ‘10mm LED’ to get an idea about these, i saw someone on here possibly joking about the suggestion of using a 1M CLR for one of these 10mm LEDs.

were they being serious?

just asking to get a bit of an idea, cos i’d really get it right the first time and not have to change values later

Trim pot. Then adjust to your preference. Or then measure the setting on the trimmer and install that resistor.

tomorrow i’m gonna be finishing off a build with one of those monster 10mm waterclear LEDs (from tayda).
normally i use 5mm and with those superbrights, a 20-22K CLR usually works well for me.

so then when i was searching under ‘10mm LED’ to get an idea about these, i saw someone on here possibly joking about the suggestion of using a 1M CLR for one of these 10mm LEDs.

were they being serious?

just asking to get a bit of an idea, cos i’d really get it right the first time and not have to change values later
They have the same draw of 20mA but the 5mm emits more lumen intensity than the 10mm does. ???

5mm 16k - 20k 25 degree
10mm 14k - 16k 30 degree

It sounds like the same LED in different sized lenses !

goddamn, i wasn’t careful enough with the trimpot…. turned it too far down and ended up blowing the one and only 10mm LED i had (wasn't sure if i was gonna like it, so only ordered x1).

so this morning, went for a quick visit to the local on the way to work and grabbed a couple more..
(very expensive - AUD$2.25ea vs tayda US$0.10ea)

They have the same draw of 20mA but the 5mm emits more lumen intensity than the 10mm does. ???

5mm 16k - 20k 25 degree
10mm 14k - 16k 30 degree

It sounds like the same LED in different sized lenses !
ahhh this is the real wisdom i was looking for..
no more trimpots for me :p

Here's the amazingly sophisticated LED tester I designed and built out of stuff I had lying around.

1. Attach the black lead's clip to the LED's short leg.
2. Put the resistor you want to try in the red lead's clip.
3. Attach battery
4. Touch the LED's long leg with the OTHER SIDE of the resistor, ie with the actual resistor between the clip and the leg you're using as a probe. Otherwise; pop goes the LED.
5. Look at the LED, which should now be lit up. Too bright? Too dim? You know what to do next, right?

Just be careful with the touching and make sure you don't pop the LED, as that's embarrassing and smells bad. Guess how I know.

Attachments

• LED_TEST.jpg
    LED_TEST.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 6
goddamn, i wasn’t careful enough with the trimpot…. turned it too far down and ended up blowing the one and only 10mm LED i had (wasn't sure if i was gonna like it, so only ordered x1).
This is why there should always be a resistor in series with the trimmer. e.g. 470R or 1k.

Back