3D Printers (again)

Haven’t read this whole thing yet, but if your familiar with parametric modeling, then Fusion is a no-brainer. I come from that background a long time ago designing windows and doors for manufactures to put into other cad platforms. For a single line of windows, I’d basically create one “master” that could easily be resized with variables associated to certain parts of the model. Same with cabinets, shelving, walls, and much more. It also has some nice Boolean operations that tend to come out nice and clean from what I remember. Especially being able to go back into the history and change parts or dimensions that would then affect the end model without having to redo from where you went back. If that makes sense. I’m pretty sure the maker version is free? I forget.

I may end up regretting this decision, but I ended up cancelling the order for the Prusa and ordered the Bambu P1P.

I know it's a bit scaled down from the X1 / X1 Carbon, but it should be more than capable of what I plan to use it for.

Reviews seemed to favor it over the Prusa in terms of quick start / speed / ease of use, and that's what's most important for this particular project.

We shall see....

I was tempted by the X1C ...
View attachment 44135

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Awesome! For modeling software you may want to check out open OpenSCAD. I use to use it for designing mechanical keyboard frames. Its a different approach to modeling, more like programming.

The printer has arrived. Initial setup and calibration was a breeze, just a couple button presses then sit back and let it do it's thing.

Running through the first print now... So far I am quite impressed.

This thing put down the nicest looking first layer I've ever seen, and with absolutely no intervention from me. No twisting thumb screws, no profanity, nothing.

The speed is incredible compared to my old Ultimate Maker. I left the room for about 10 minutes, came back expecting it to still be chugging along at the first few layers... Oh no, not at all. There is an actual object sitting on the bed, probably an inch tall with a significant amount of infill.

The printer has arrived. Initial setup and calibration was a breeze, just a couple button presses then sit back and let it do it's thing.

This thing put down the nicest looking first layer I've ever seen, and with absolutely no intervention from me. No twisting thumb screws, no profanity, nothing.

The speed is incredible compared to my old Ultimate Maker. I left the room for about 10 minutes, came back expecting it to still be chugging along at the first few layers... Oh no, not at all. There is an actual object sitting on the bed, probably an inch tall with a significant amount of infill.
If you don't stop I am going to get in trouble with my wife.

I keep seeing ads on facebook for the Bambu, pretty sure it's your fault.

I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it

Well I'm getting an error every time I try to heat the bed up to print ABS, looks like I may be in the market to replace my wizmaker sooner than I had hoped. I'll try to take care of it myself since the company doesn't even answer emails anymore, but worst case scenario I already have one picked out to replace it.

I just got an email from Bambu Lab that they've decided to make the chamber camera and LED light add-ons standard in the P1P, and gave a voucher to get them both free (aside from $7 shipping).

I thought that was pretty dang cool of them.

I just got an email from Bambu Lab that they've decided to make the chamber camera and LED light add-ons standard in the P1P, and gave a voucher to get them both free (aside from $7 shipping).

Nice! When the printer first launched they had them in a separate box as a "bonus" but said that it was a limited time offer.

Reactions: fig
So far I've only had one print fail, and I expected it because I ran the machine at "Ludicrous" speed.

I had no intentions of actually using that mode regularly but was curious to see just how fast it was. It was ... disturbingly fast ... :ROFLMAO:

Aside from that, the P1P has changed my plans completely. I bought it with the intentions of prototyping a design to have fabricated, but it runs so effortlessly and fast that I might as well just keep churning them out here. After the initial auto-calibration I've never had to do anything more than clear the bed and hit "Print"... every print has been flawless, every single time.

With my older machine I was able to print two frames in about 90 minutes... with the P1P I'm printing four in about 45 minutes (at "Normal" speed), and the quality is significantly better.

I don't even want a 3d printer but this kind of service makes me wanna buy one 😂

This is just the frame for the 125B drill templates.

I had some scaling issues when ordering from a fabricator compared to the ones I've printed. I assumed the issue must be my machines calibration, and that I most likely made micro-adjustments to the design years ago when working on the design which made the dimensions inaccurate when printed from a properly calibrated machine...

As it turns out, the issue doesn't appear to have been my machine at all.

I started 3D printing in 1989. Seen just about everything.
At the house I have had a Prusa Mini for ~5 years. Been a pretty decent hobby machine.
On Wednesday unboxed my new Prusa MK4. From the time I carried ti to the basement, it was < 10 minutes before I was printing. It has been running almost continuously for ~40 hours and really is almost entirely plug-n-play.
After all these years, I don't want to doink around to make things work. I did that 35 years ago. Those systems were f'n hard to work with. My time is valuable to me, so I paid the extra for no hassle printing. So far I have gotten that with my Prusas.

I've got a Prusa MK3S+. I've found it to be a pretty great machine. I would really like to upgrade to the MK4, but can't really justify it at this time. I've also got an older model resin printer (Elegoo Mars). It can produce some amazing detail, but I have yet to work out the tolerances on parts fitting (pegs and holes seem to be oversized no matter what I do), but have it on my neverending to-do list to run it down.

Back